Sign in to follow this  

Top end tick after crash

I have an 08 yz250f that has a pretty noticeable tick in the top end. It ran perfect until i had a crash off of a small sized double and now has a tick in the top end. It sounds like it is coming from the exhaust side. When i wrecked the bike didn't hit the ground at any odd angle, it landed on the wheels and rolled into some brush. Ive already checked the valves and they are in spec but on the loose side. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Any chance you tweaked the header pipe? I have heard of with cars that a leak around the exhaust can sound like a lifter tick. Not sure if that happens on these, but just an idea. I mean I highly doubt you could have damaged the internals from a crash...especially one as mild as you made it sound.

If you're not sure, maybe just pop that off and replace the seal in there to rule it out if you don't come across anything different. Again im takin a shot in the dark....but it has to be something you are just now noticing and assuming it just happened after the crash. Or its something stupid.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

may sound silly but is your header guard loose or rubbing on the pipe

Edited by jackiefresh69
  • Like 1

Put a new crush gasket in the head pipe and it went away. Thanks guys

Put a new crush gasket in the head pipe and it went away. Thanks guys

Yea, i wondered if you tweaked that when you crashed....crazy thing to be the cause, but...good to know that coulda been in for future cases.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF