Sign in to follow this  

Washington Chikamin or Lower Mad River

no. devils would be more likely me thinks.

I heard someone rode Devil's last weekend....didn't get much of a story other than "they went"

I doubt you would get far. Still snow on the ground by the lake. Took off on some FS roads just past Midway, and there was snow on the roads, especially north facing. This was about same elevation at Goose Creek.

I went out to Sand Creek last weekend. Still snow on the road then at Stewarts junkyard. And snow on the road into the trail head. That is probably gone by now, but I'm guessing snow up higher, and north facing stuff.

Good time for dual sporting the wheat field roads east of here in the mean time.

• Like 2

My experience on chikamin/chiwawa trail is around memorial day weekend there is till snow towards minnow/chikamin area. With minimal tree removal. I would expect lots of trees and snow right now. Lower mad. LOTS of trees down and a pain to access from maverick saddle. But then again I haven't attempted to ride any one if these trails early bin then year for quite some time

last year I was able to get out and clear a couple days in April....just the lower stuff, and no loops, but I'm ready for some mtns

• Like 1

Is there a lower elevation place to stage for Devil's? Looking at the topo it looks like the trail is relatively low but is surrounded by higher elevations. Also, It looks as though lower chiwawa is low for a good run. Does it melt out pretty quick?

Edited by knightsofnee

Is there a lower elevation place to stage for Devil's? Looking at the topo it looks like the trail is relatively low but is surrounded by higher elevations. Also, It looks as though lower chiwawa is low for a good run. Does it melt out pretty quick?

out past the crazy guy's dump near Cashmere :)

• Like 1

For the last few years FS hires contractors to clear Lower Chiwawa and the campground loop just before the Memorial Day weekend, they go to the snow which is usually about three miles past Alder Ridge. Then we come and do the rest as the snow melts.

• Like 1

Was at mission ridge earlier this month skiing (9th and 10th). Anything below base elevation (4,570') was mostly free of snow even in the trees. This is Far East slope of cascades so maybe table mtn area is rideable? Blewett pass looked same but five mile road (tronsen staging access) had a good four foot wall in it all the way down to US97.

• Like 1

For the last few years FS hires contractors to clear Lower Chiwawa and the campground loop just before the Memorial Day weekend.

I cleared the campground last year. No check necessary. Hopefully FS didn't pay somebody else for it.

I'm game for some Chiwawa clearing. Not really a fan of that trail but we can't be too picky this time if year. Post up or PM me if anyone wants to make a day of it.

I'll try and scope it out for you guys next weekend :goofy: 

IMG_20140420_191302.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be there on Saturday clearing, checked my notes and found we were there last year the first weekend of May and it was snow free all the way to Alder Ridge. So there might be some riding already, well after clearing. Anybody can make it?

Frank

Was at mission ridge earlier this month skiing (9th and 10th). Anything below base elevation (4,570') was mostly free of snow even in the trees. This is Far East slope of cascades so maybe table mtn area is rideable? Blewett pass looked same but five mile road (tronsen staging access) had a good four foot wall in it all the way down to US97.

Table Mtn is closed until June 15.

If somebody wants to come up to Lower Mad on Saturday, I'll bring a saw and we can see where the snow is. 

I'm up for that. I'll send you a PM

Update.. No snow until you get to Maverick saddle, problem is you can't get there, about 3/4. of the way a large slide is blocking the road, logs and debris six feet high, twenty feet across.