Sign in to follow this  

2004 CRF 450, tall rider. Anything better tagged?

I am building a CRF 450 2004 and I am 6 foot 5, I am going to put a 70 or 80 horse motor in it. Is their anything better for a road going motard chasses from people who are familiar with this chasses on the street for what I want to do?

Thanks for any help.

A Liger CR 500 will make that without breaking a sweat, One guy has one making 110 RWHP on meth and most believe there is another easy 10 ponies hiding in that motor.

I could make it a 100 on race gas, I want 80 reliable horses on pump gas and that should be feasible. I am looking for the best chasses to do this to for a tall rider that will hook up and slide good. I bought the tagged CRF 04 back in 06 but never built what I wanted because I never saw something worth the time that I felt would be good. That was 8 years ago I am a slow mover for sure.

Thanks for any input, I could use a Cr 500 chasses?  I THINK NOT !!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

A Liger CR 500 will make that without breaking a sweat, One guy has one making 110 RWHP on meth and most believe there is another easy 10 ponies hiding in that motor.

I could make it a 100 on race gas, I want 80 reliable horses on pump gas and that should be feasible. I am looking for the best chasses to do this to for a tall rider that will hook up and slide good. I bought the tagged CRF 04 back in 06 but never built what I wanted because I never saw something worth the time that I felt would be good. That was 8 years ago I am a slow mover for sure.

Thanks for any input, I could use a Cr 500 chasses?  I THINK NOT !!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

No offense I dig the high hopes but a 80 reliable hp on pump gas out of a 450 is a far stretch. The crf is a great chassis and a pretty tall bike if you compare it to something like a sport bike. The 450 is a maintenance pig as it is if you plan to build the piss out of it then put serious milage on it I'll bet you end up doin a lot of top ends on it. But your best bet to keep it reliable is stroker kit and a big bore. From the factory with 11.5: to one they need premium fuel. A high comp piston you will need a long duration cam to keep it on pump gas. Now a cr500 in your crf chassis would be cool but not a very street friendly combo having to mix gas at every fill up would not only be a pain but $$$. But hey if you figure out a way to get late 90s 600 cc sport bike power out of a 450 reliably let me know I'll have you build a motor for me.

No offense I dig the high hopes but a 80 reliable hp on pump gas out of a 450 is a far stretch. The crf is a great chassis and a pretty tall bike if you compare it to something like a sport bike. The 450 is a maintenance pig as it is if you plan to build the piss out of it then put serious milage on it I'll bet you end up doin a lot of top ends on it. But your best bet to keep it reliable is stroker kit and a big bore. From the factory with 11.5: to one they need premium fuel. A high comp piston you will need a long duration cam to keep it on pump gas. Now a cr500 in your crf chassis would be cool but not a very street friendly combo having to mix gas at every fill up would not only be a pain but $$$. But hey if you figure out a way to get late 90s 600 cc sport bike power out of a 450 reliably let me know I'll have you build a motor for me.

Not  450 but a built Cr 500 Liger, the cylinder came out over 2 years ago but nobody had them going right. A outlaw kart builder out of Cali claims he has finally got them working reliably for his racing. He claims the 550cc motor kit has about the same power band as c Cr 500 but will make about 80 RWHP on fairly low compression. He told me outlaw kart racing is brutal beyond what we motard guys do unless you are pined on the interstate.

I have already put a Cr 500 motor in a 2003 CRF 450 but for off road I found the frame to be overly stiff for me, once I fixed the notorious steering I loved the bike but could not go as fast over rough terrain because no frame flex. I was thinking because the frame is built so stiff it would be a great motard with a monster motor for a tall person?

I am curious from people who motard these 2002-2004 how good they are at hooking up on the road. .  10 years ago I would have been able to afford race gas for it and do a 90 HP but not today everything I build is going on pump gas.

You just carry a bottle of oil with you. This bike would be for around town use only. You know how 2 smokes are for long road riding.

This would not be the world famous Higginson would it, BOB the stud HIGGINSON?

Edited by Whipitnow

Nope never even been to Detroit. I read your first post wrong and yes I think 80 reliablish hp is possible out of a big bore 2 smoke. Probably a nearly unrideable blast of a ride and costly to ride. But I here good things about af500 sumo's wanting to convert my 02

You need to be careful about us AF guy's, do you see any of us taking home titles? most of us are a full of chit breed.  The CRF 450 2002 is not a easy conversion but I find the folks who truly use a 500 for what it was designed to do high speed a 2002-04 is the most stable platform to convert and especially if you are tall. A lot of people do not like the way the first year Gen CRF stands up in corners and steers.

I found the bike to be the best trade offs for a open 2 smoke, however the 2002 and newer Cr 250 is the easiest to convert and with more stability should be tough to beat. The newer CRF's and the CR are just not as stable as the CRF gen 1. You can get a CR 250 chasses to go straighter by putting a 1 inch longer swingarm off a 09 or newer CRF 450 and probably a newer CRF 250 as well?  These older CRF's to me are more stable and more comfortable than the newer CRF's so I would think for longer spats on the road it may be the best?

Edited by Whipitnow