Sign in to follow this  

2014' 250 xc-w V. 300 xc-w

Hello KTM forum.

I am looking at getting a 2 smoke and getting rid of my 05' CRF450R. I would get a X but it is still not fuel injected.

What kind of mileage do these two bikes get? Does the 250 get noticeably better mileage over the 300? (im looking for 70+/2.5 gal tank)

The 300 can be lugged and makes decent torque. I am looking for this but also looking for something that taps out like a old CR250.

Is the 250 xc-w a more 'racy' motor? I am 165 lbs/ wo gear and am looking for a bike that can also hammer woops wide open like my CRF.

10 track/ 90 trail

Im thinking about just getting the 250 and If i need more torque changing the top end to the 300. Is this still a option w. the 2014's?

I dont need a TON of torque but dont want to pick one of these up if it doesnt have a powerband. Love the CRF motor, hate the weight.

Get the 300, it will have closer to the same power as your 450F (more power than the 250 for sure), but about same weight as 250

try a 200 I came off a 426 and have really started to enjoy my 200xcw. I like it better then my dads 300xc I think. such a fun light bike.

Go for an XC. Leave the XCW on the dealer floor.

While I am a "W" lover, he is right.

...and am looking for a bike that can also hammer woops wide open like my CRF.

You need the linkage rear suspension of the regular XC.

I will add my vote to stop looking at the W's and just go with the XC. And yes you can still swap out the 250 top end for a 300 on a 14. I rode my 14 300XC through some whooped out sand yesterday and that is the bike you want.

XCW all day here ! Better trail bike and clears the big rock boulders and step ups better..... That is unless you can skip across the tops of rocks like the factory guys do who run very little bike protection. The W is more of a bike for extreme enduro.

I vote for a XC. I bought a 2013 xc-w 250 and i do love it, however I regret not getting the XC 250.

I've never ridden an xc but have ridden an xc-w. Steering and stability wise do the linkage bikes handle differently? I understand they are stiffer but do they turn any different? The w's I've ridden have all been easy to ride and super stable compared to the Japanese mx bikes I've owned.

Linkage bikes do handle whoops and chop better.  Get a good susp tuner and he can make the PDS system get really, really close.  I say pass on the 250xcw.  The 250 motor combined with the wider ratio XCW tranny will make it feel like a dog compared to your 450.  As far as the 300 is concerned I really like the versatility of the XCW.  The tranny is a little more forgiving (it spreads the power out a little more...as a 300 can be a handfull).  The xc has a little closer ratios for racing but do a slavens head mod on the xcw and you won't even notice.  The CC suspension is better for offroad as well.  

I have a 14 te 300 berg and depending on how fast you are the whoops are not an issue but the linkage will handle them better. I was contemplating a 250 but did not want to spend extra money making it a 300 in case I wanted more. I'm coming off a 2004 yz 250 and the power these 300's have is insane. Xc or W there really isn't a bad choice.

my 2014 300XCW six days handles whoops and jumps as long as I adjust the clickers for it , It is a great bike , set the suspension on the firm side , put in the aggressive power valve spring and rip the sand dunes and track or set it up to soak up the knarly roots and rocks of single track with the green mild spring , flip the ignition switch to tame it even more ( I call it tractor mode ) and climb anything you encounter like a skilled trials rider.

One more vote on not buying the XC-W. The PDS equiped bikes are fine for slow speeds but suck when the speeds pick up.

But more to your question.

I had a brand new 2012 Husaberg TE250 and after riding it a few months I installed the 300 SX kit. The 300 would hang with 450's! I thought it was great until I put the 250 top end back on. I also had an FMF Gnarly woods pipe during all this.

I loved the 250 more after riding it with both size top ends! It would pull me up any hill I would point it at!

That's a 2012 model. I rode all the off road KTM's at a test day and the 2014 300 motor is amazing! Night and day difference compared to my 2012 300 setup.

The XC-W suspension was terrible but the motor was great. A very electric motor feel to it.

So I think you would like either size motor but do buy an XC.

Your gonna have mixed reviews with suspension. The bike is sprung for 185 pound frame. If your gonna be doing a bunch of high speed 5th or 6th gear attacking whoops or mx get the xc. If your gonna do more single track, gnarly hill climbs or log jumping xcw is where you want to go. Either bike I strongly recommend a steering stabilizer. Good luck.

PDS does not suck for high(er) speed stuff....its just not quite as good as linkage.  A good tuner can dial in the rear end for you, it just takes some out of the box setup to get it there.  The XCW suspension can handle anything but hardcore MX once it gets a revalve.  I have an XC and XCW and actually run my XCW suspension on my race bike (the XC) for everything but MX or offroad races that I know will be high speed and lots of whoops.  If the race consists of a mix bag of high speed whoops, chop, valleys, slow tech rocks, lava fields ect I run my XCW setup.  It handles big whoops good enough but is magic in the nasties.  The CC setup is good in the tech stuff too but not as much as the OC setup.  Any KTM 2T you  get will need a stabalizer...its just about mandatory

Edited by andrew34