Sign in to follow this  

Is that the spark arrester in my FMF silencer?

I am a little confused. I haven't done a repacking, just watched them done. since I am doing a new top end, might as well redo the packing, and I think it's way over due. the packing wasn't crispy, still a bit soft, but whatever this is at the end of my case, is clogged, I am not sure if it come it, doesn't seem like it, but if that is part of the old packing that is clogging it, how do I fix it? as far as I know, you should be able to look down through it. from what I understand the spark arrester part is in the cap.

I don't know what the silencer is, other than FMF, my guess it's a turbinecore 2, just from one picture I have seen of the inside. 

IMG_3261.jpg

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff

lol, I think it might be a turbinecore 2, after seeing some pictures. pretty sure it comes out from what I have read, just it seems pretty tight. sorry, I think I might have spammed, I always can't find it, till I ask the question, then all of a sudden there it is...but I wouldn't mind some insight.

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff

Doesn't look like one to me. I could be wrong, they usually look like a cone shaped screen. This is a pic of mine [

attachment=141501:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398122005.941414.jpg]

Mine is also labeled that it is a spark arrestor and that it's approved by the USFS.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398122005.941414.jpg

Doesn't look like one to me. I could be wrong, they usually look like a cone shaped screen. This is a pic of mine [

attachment=141501:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398122005.941414.jpg]

Mine is also labeled that it is a spark arrestor and that it's approved by the USFS.

I think the difference is the two stroke muffler has the turbine core spark arrestor as people have described above.  I assume given your user name, your muffler is for the 4 stroke in which case the spark arrestor is the screen inthe end cap on the FMF.

• Like 2

I've got a FMF silencer / arrestor combo on my CR500.  Look at the outside of your silencer and if it's equipped with an arrestor, you see the stamping that says it's approved by the department of forestry.  Personally, I'm glad I didn't have to buy another slip on for this CR.  Did for my other rigs aside from the IT490, and those slip on types make the bikes look so freaking retarded.  Once I mend, I plan on taking all my silencers and slip on arrestors and fabricate them to a shorter length.  At least it won't look so ridiculous. PS: clean that thing out dude, it looks packed and probably is killing some of your buggy power.  Most FMF have screws where you can dismantle it completely, then clean it, and repack it. Just a thought.   :devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

Here's what you're looking for if indeed it's a Turbine Core 2, look at the side and notice on this picture the part about it being "forestry" approved.  If you remove your side plate, you should be able to see this. :devil:

FMF_Category_62.jpg

Yes, it's a Turbine Core. Unlike four-stroke silencers that use a simple screen for a spark arrestor. the Turbine Core uses a Krizzman-style spark arrestor. Essentially, it spins the exhaust so that the particulates fly to the sides, while the gasses exit through the centered exhaust outlet.

That one should have been cleaned a long time ago. Take it to a radiator or engine shop and have them hot tank it, it will come out looking like new.

You do NOT put silencer packing in the spark arrestor section, only in the section where the perforated core is.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 2

Yes, it's a Turbine Core. Unlike four-stroke silencers that use a simple screen for a spark arrestor. the Turbine Core uses a Krizzman-style spark arrestor. Essentially, it spins the exhaust so that the particulates fly to the sides, while the gasses exit through the centered exhaust outlet.

That one should have been cleaned a long time ago. Take it to a radiator or engine shop and have them hot tank it, it will come out looking like new.

You do NOT put silencer packing in the spark arrestor section, only in the section where the perforated core is.

Either a turbine core or a q. That thing is a wreck! Just like chokey said, take that thing to get hot tanked. If you sit there trying to clean it at home, you will leave with blackened hands and a giant mess to clean up. 

I think the difference is the two stroke muffler has the turbine core spark arrestor as people have described above. I assume given your user name, your muffler is for the 4 stroke in which case the spark arrestor is the screen inthe end cap on the FMF.

There you go I was wrong and I got learned up on something. Excuse my ignorance I just recently got back in the 2 stroke game.

That's the whole deal, all it says on the side "FMF" and it's stamped "spark arrester approved" I took the picture with just the cap off, right now it's completely apart, except the arrester. That is what I need to know, does it come out, or is it apart of the case? I read somewhere it has a special type of packing around the arrester, I don't know if you just clean it with it inside. shouldn't you be able to see down the middle? seems like there is packing/carbon blocking it in the center.

The turbine core 2 has a the end piece riveted on. Did you remove those rivets?  I have one literally sitting in front of me, for a 2stroke. 

The turbine core 2 has a the end piece riveted on. Did you remove those rivets?  I have one literally sitting in front of me, for a 2stroke. 

If these units are riveted together, how are they serviced?  I mean, how do you get the packing replaced.  I'm only asking because I also have one and rather know what I'm getting into before I start fiddling with it.  I'm sure it houses an arrestor, as time passes, that too needs to be cleaned or eventually it would clog.  Most arrestors that I'm aware of have screens, so I'm assuming there's a screen in there somewhere. :devil: 

That's the whole deal, all it says on the side "FMF" and it's stamped "spark arrester approved" I took the picture with just the cap off, right now it's completely apart, except the arrester. That is what I need to know, does it come out, or is it apart of the case? I read somewhere it has a special type of packing around the arrester, I don't know if you just clean it with it inside. shouldn't you be able to see down the middle? seems like there is packing/carbon blocking it in the center.

There is a perforated tube that basically runs down the middle of the canister on the "engine" side of the exhaust. You probably cant see all the way through without the arrestor removed. You will need to pull the other end of the canister apart and the "packing" will come out with the cap and tube assembly. Been a while, but if I recall correctly you should have an end cap and tube assembly, canister with the turbine core (I don't think it is necessary to remove, if possible), end cap from around the turbine and a giant oily fiberglass mass. Wear gloves, you will get dirty. I'm guessing the packing in that bike weighs 5 lb., as it is saturated with unburnt oil. Looks like a fire hazard.....jk.

There is a perforated tube that basically runs down the middle of the canister on the "engine" side of the exhaust. You probably cant see all the way through without the arrestor removed. You will need to pull the other end of the canister apart and the "packing" will come out with the cap and tube assembly. Been a while, but if I recall correctly you should have an end cap and tube assembly, canister with the turbine core (I don't think it is necessary to remove, if possible), end cap from around the turbine and a giant oily fiberglass mass. Wear gloves, you will get dirty. I'm guessing the packing in that bike weighs 5 lb., as it is saturated with unburnt oil. Looks like a fire hazard.....jk.

The rivets can be drilled out & the arrester removed...easily hammered into a bent and broken mess. I usually slather mine with Goop handcleaner using a long rubber spatula. Leave it sit for a half hour...Viola! Rinse well, repeat if necessary(the 1st go is usually the worst).

The rivets can be drilled out & the arrester removed...easily hammered into a bent and broken mess. I usually slather mine with Goop handcleaner using a long rubber spatula. Leave it sit for a half hour...Viola! Rinse well, repeat if necessary(the 1st go is usually the worst).