Sign in to follow this  

I'm stumped. Four-Stroke keeps fouling plugs.

The bike is an '04 CRF230F. It has a decorked intake and exhaust, the carburetor was rejetted with a 132 [from 102] in 2007-8, stock pilot, and an aftermarket needle. I Haven't had a problem between now and when I did the mods. No indications were given that there was going to be a problem, I tried to start it one day and it would only start on full choke. Take it off and it dies. I took off the carburetor and cleaned it really well, and still nothing. I replaced the spark plug, and it ran completely fine after that. It ran for about a good 2 hours before it reverted right back, though. After spending almost 15 years on things with engines I have NEVER seen a four-stroke foul plugs like that. Considering that the jetting changes were made around 6-7 years ago, is it possible that could be the source of the problem? I was considering going down to a 120 as a I have heard 132 is not optimum. Or, could the rings on the Piston be defective, or possible something else where I could be getting excess oil leakage? 

Can be mulitple issues, so you have to isolate

Compression test

Leak down test

If you have not cleaned the choke plunger, replaced the pilot jet, and adjusted the valves, do all that first.

There is NO REASON to change jetting as the years go by.  Jetting requirements do not change with time.

Can be mulitple issues, so you have to isolate

Compression test

Leak down test

If you have not cleaned the choke plunger, replaced the pilot jet, and adjusted the valves, do all that first.

There is NO REASON to change jetting as the years go by.  Jetting requirements do not change with time.

I will perform those steps you suggested. The reason for wanting to change the pilot jet it that someone did Dyno/Air Fuel tests with stocks 230's and found the optimum setup to be a 120 Main, Accessory Needle, and 45 Pilot. These were changes I was considering before this happened. 

Here is a Picture of the brand new spark plug after not even 2 hours ride time. It's one step 'hotter' than recommended for stock. EZf3c69.jpg

I think you're right, put the smaller jets in it. Try it and report back.  Put a stock plug in it too.

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1