Sign in to follow this  

Advice : Moving my 15 year old son to a 2t 250

Recently been thinking of giving my son my pride and joy, He's 15 now 16 in june . He's on a 03 cr125 i completely rebuilt last fall , He's 6'1 but only about 110 lbs. soaked ,  the 125 he's on now isn't necessarily too small but he has that thing screaming for mercy 90% of the time. He rode my last bike an 05 cr250 and done well ( i made him take it easy ) I just rebuilt this 01 cr250 that he's kinda fell in love with, i currently have on ebay for sale. I buy rebuild and resell a lot , i like to wrench and make money .  I let him ride the 01 the day after i did heat cycles plug reading ect. ect. He made two laps and coming sliding up and first words he said was " This things Amazing , puts that 05 to shame , I Love it " He was grinning like he'd just found a  $100 bill. It's been about 3 weeks and i let him back on it today just in an open 5 acre field close to the house we just make laps around to tune and such.  To tell the truth he scares the shit out of me on it, Up on the tank but front wheels up in the air through every gear ,slinging it through turns like he's been riding that bike for years. My main concern is him getting hurt on it. Sorry i'm a parent . I've bought every piece of safety gear they sell , looks like a football player  :lol: .At the same time all he wants is to ride . I can't bring myself to tell him to slow it down , if i do tell him take it easy,  ( excuse is that bikes for sale ) 2 laps later right back on it. haha . I honestly think he doesn't realize he's riding that hard. He took a hard over the bars cross up last week and was mad cause i told him that was enough for the day ( looked like a robot walking around the house )  :lol:  He compound fractured his lower leg , bone sticking out . Two years ago jumping his yamaha 80 . The boy only wants to ride and ride it exactly like he stole it from my Ebay sale , Enough  :rant: Please let me know what you think, i'm a big boy i can take criticism . Birthday gift ? or not ? You guys are awesome thanks. 

IMG_2223.JPG

He can get hurt just as easy on the 125. I can remember back in the day getting off my 86 CR 125 and riding my dads 86 or 87 KTM 250 and absolutely loved the power! Could do the same stuff on my 125 but the 250 was a beast and required a lot more muscle and finesse due to the power. He'll be on a 250 sooner or later and will probably be fine on it but for me, I wouldn't ever go back to a 125 after having my own '00 CR250 now. But I'm 225lbs now too vs the similar size of your son at his age. 125's are slightly cheaper if you think you may be financing his next couple bikes but give him the 250 and he might not ever look back lol. He'd be in hog heaven but a couple more years on the 125 wouldn't be a bad thing either while he gets older and fills out. He has a bike and as long as he at least has that, he can't complain too much. Nothing like running wfo on a 125. Gives you great confidence to move up now or later. When he does fill out, a 125 will never be the same for him so let him ride and enjoy that cause in a few years, he may never look at a 125 the same or ride it, as he probably does now, again

• Like 1

If he can ride it and ride it good birthday present. but honestly if you think he is gonna get it for a birthday present and you don't think he Is being very nice on it tell him you can sell it and he can get some other thing for his birthday but only if he abuses it and goes crazy with it

He actually does pretty good he does his own service , i made him a checklist of my own then printed out the Honda service manual checklist . He washes drys and Honda polish plastics after every ride .  I try to teach him now to make decisions on  service each ride example : air filter every ride. oil change every other ect. ect. . And what to look for preventive maint. cable rinse and lube , chain tension checks before each ride. All the little stuff that can ruin your whole day . He has no idea i'm even considering giving it to him . I bet i'm going to get some car washes until atleast june though , haha 

Edited by Beau 88

He can get hurt just as easy on the 125. I can remember back in the day getting off my 86 CR 125 and riding my dads 86 or 87 KTM 250 and absolutely loved the power! Could do the same stuff on my 125 but the 250 was a beast and required a lot more muscle and finesse due to the power. He'll be on a 250 sooner or later and will probably be fine on it but for me, I wouldn't ever go back to a 125 after having my own '00 CR250 now. But I'm 225lbs now too vs the similar size of your son at his age. 125's are slightly cheaper if you think you may be financing his next couple bikes but give him the 250 and he might not ever look back lol. He'd be in hog heaven but a couple more years on the 125 wouldn't be a bad thing either while he gets older and fills out. He has a bike and as long as he at least has that, he can't complain too much. Nothing like running wfo on a 125. Gives you great confidence to move up now or later. When he does fill out, a 125 will never be the same for him so let him ride and enjoy that cause in a few years, he may never look at a 125 the same or ride it, as he probably does now, again

So you were in the same situation , If i give him the 01 '250 i planned on selling his 125 and just buy myself another one to build on. It only has about 35 run hour on the crank and new OEM top end kit last week , been heat cycled and rode for about 45 minutes new michelin  tires so make some kid happy for awhile. Also if he has a 2 stroke 250 that's all the bike he will ever need i'm not financing chit  :lol: . I will probably try to find another 00'-01 CR250 for myself ( easier to work on interchangable parts ) . I asked how it was running this afternoon he smiled and said " Faster than mine " lmao . We have a free riding school at our local track i thought of including a clause of him finishing those riding classes in order to get the bike to keep as his own. Good idea ? 

If he actually only weighs 110 lbs, then a 125 will haul him around more than fast enough. Unless you are just riding in fields or something... then I guess a 250 is cool, idk.

If he actually only weighs 110 lbs, then a 125 will haul him around more than fast enough. Unless you are just riding in fields or something... then I guess a 250 is cool, idk.

All of the above really , we have a local track 30 dollar admission each day for both of us only about a 10 minute drive.  5 Tracks 2 are kids only pee wee over 40 trails you can literally ride all day. But at the end of the road about 2 blocks a 5-6 acre field i'll take him down there and let him ride . It's growing up now so today i cut him some curves to make him a good size turning track , 90 degree turns back and forth with a few wide turns at the ends, I figured at least he can practice cornering and getting out of them faster. With a wide little path around the perimeter tri-oval shaped to just rip around and i adjust carbs and stuff as he heats them up. And free. Good for him to be able to ride after school  for an hour or so . He would much rather camp out at that track but it gets expensive paying to ride in their fields . 

If hes really 110 lbs or even 140 lbs, a 250 could get way from him very quick. If he has a skill level of a B class rider, sure go with the 250, he'll grow into it even more. But anything else I would think it would be smart? 

Now a 250F, that would be perfect for him. Let him pick his own bike out for his bday. He'll be more thrilled 

If hes really 110 lbs or even 140 lbs, a 250 could get way from him very quick. If he has a skill level of a B class rider, sure go with the 250, he'll grow into it even more. But anything else I would think it would be smart?

Now a 250F, that would be perfect for him. Let him pick his own bike out for his bday. He'll be more thrilled

. He really cares nothing about a 4 stroke I've shown him a few 230 and 250f and he just shrugs his shoulders and say eeeea yea . But you show him a slick modded up Honda cr125 or 250 and he will pull the laptop away from me. Besides he says they sound like a fart and laughs at them . He has no expectations of going pro just wants to race for fun . Idk I'm sure he likes the 2t more because that's all I will personally own . I care nothing about big thick wiring harnesses , throttle bodies and all the other new Whoo hooo .

I'm 135 and I race a 500. I'm faster on a 500 than I am on a 125 ;) But, everybody is different.

That CR250 should serve him well  :thumbsup:  If that's what he likes, why force him onto something different that he isn't comfortable on? Yes, me racing a 500 is stoopid, but I'm comfortable on it. I know how it will react to EVERYTHING. If you took me today, threw me on a 125 (or 250 even) I will be slower and less confident in my riding

I swap up from my 450 and ride my buddies 125 occasionally and my wife's kx100. I have a lot more oh shit moments on those bikes cause I can ride them alot harder than my 450. Even though I'm alot faster on my 450 I don't push it as hard. I'm 140 lbs and get tired of lack of power on the little bikes. But I've been riding a 250 2t for about 6 years and just moved to the 450

I was put on too big of a bike for my skill set at a young age. 13 years old riding a YZ250 and YZ400 when I should have still been on a 125. While I could ride the bikes well, they hurt me in how I progressed as a rider.

A well setup 125 is the best thing you can give a teenager to make them be a better rider. It makes them work hard and carry speed. They don't have 50 hp to rely on to get them over that jump right out of a corner.

So my advice would be to keep him on the 125. Now if he is an A class rider who can win races, that's another story.

Edited by MXRider72
  • Like 2

I swap up from my 450 and ride my buddies 125 occasionally and my wife's kx100. I have a lot more oh shit moments on those bikes cause I can ride them alot harder than my 450. Even though I'm alot faster on my 450 I don't push it as hard. I'm 140 lbs and get tired of lack of power on the little bikes. But I've been riding a 250 2t for about 6 years and just moved to the 450

I feel the same way with myself , like you will cut yourself more from a dull knife from applying too much pressure as opposed to a sharp knife that cuts effortlessly . 

I was put on too big of a bike for my skill set at a young age. 13 years old riding a YZ250 and YZ400 when I should have still been on a 125. While I could ride the bikes well, they hurt me in how I progressed as a rider.

A well setup 125 is the best thing you can give a teenager to make them be a better rider. It makes them work hard and carry speed. They don't have 50 hp to rely on to get them over that jump right out of a corner.

So my advice would be to keep him on the 125. Now if he is an A class rider who can win races, that's another story.

I completely understand and this was one of my concerns other than me maybe being over protective. 

Not sure how good your son is but the corner track would be a great thing. I had a similar free riding area down the street from the house the was basically a turning track. Cut in by four wheelers, it had decent 1 foot tall berms to rail around or learn to apex on and was a great learning process for me. I would ride that track an hour straight about 2-3 times a week and to this day, every corner I go into, makes me remember different learning points from back then. Jump for show, corner for dough! And a 125 is absolute best for that cause just like mentioned above, helps you to learn to keep your speed up

Not sure how good your son is but the corner track would be a great thing. I had a similar free riding area down the street from the house the was basically a turning track. Cut in by four wheelers, it had decent 1 foot tall berms to rail around or learn to apex on and was a great learning process for me. I would ride that track an hour straight about 2-3 times a week and to this day, every corner I go into, makes me remember different learning points from back then. Jump for show, corner for dough! And a 125 is absolute best for that cause just like mentioned above, helps you to learn to keep your speed up