Sign in to follow this  

May I suggest avoiding this MOD w/o the proper tools!

Well a small hand hacksaw, a file and an hour later removed this thing.. My hand is still numb from the process, but once i got started i was determined to finish.  I am happy with it off now!  Looks much better :)

unnamed-2_zps614b082e.jpg

• Like 2

^^yeah, if that was the case i would have kept it too.  Heck i don't even know how to use the thing haha

• Like 1

Why didn't you just unlock it, unscrew it and remove it? Having cut the weld, you now have a place for corrosion to start - and in years to come, future buyers will look at it and wonder why you cut off the tab. Hell, in some places, that 'modification' would make the sub-frame illegal!

A cordless grinder would have done it in about 2 minutes...

• Like 3

Why didn't you just unlock it, unscrew it and remove it? Having cut the weld, you now have a place for corrosion to start - and in years to come, future buyers will look at it and wonder why you cut off the tab. Hell, in some places, that 'modification' would make the sub-frame illegal!

A cordless grinder would have done it in about 2 minutes...

Ya I was thinking this whole time, "I wish i had a grinder"... Im not worried about other people in the future being concerned about it if I sell the bike.  Looks better and i don't think cutting a welded tab would make a frame illegal.

Nice,  ive been thinking about doing the same thing recently,  me helmet is a AFX FX-39,  so it uses a clip style thingie,  no D ring on it to lock it onto the bike,  it would for sure look cleaner without it,  i allready removed the helmet lock,  just the mounting tab is left on.

I wouldn't worry too much about the legality of removing the lock, that might be an Aussie law. I did the same, only because I never used mine and it decided to not unlock the first time I tried to use it after owning the bike for 3 years. I went a step further and removed my upper chain guard and the mounting tabs, it's the little things that make the bike unique.

• Like 2

Nice,  ive been thinking about doing the same thing recently,  me helmet is a AFX FX-39,  so it uses a clip style thingie,  no D ring on it to lock it onto the bike,  it would for sure look cleaner without it,  i allready removed the helmet lock,  just the mounting tab is left on.

ya i have the fly trekker helmet which i believe is very similar to what you have.. I figured that i would never use the lock and i thought it just kinda looked out of place..  Once cut the fender covers the cut part so its not exposed

also would you guys recommend I spray the spot with something like primer? or should it be fine filed down smooth?

Ya I was thinking this whole time, "I wish i had a grinder"... Im not worried about other people in the future being concerned about it if I sell the bike.  Looks better and i don't think cutting a welded tab would make a frame illegal.

Hey - it's your bike - do with it what you will!

I've restored a few older bikes and it's annoying sometimes that little tabs and hooks have been removed by well-meaning POs, so you can't fit stuff like indicators and stock exhausts - and it's standard bikes which eventually bring the big money when it's time to move them on.

Back in the day, indicators were optional and the noise-nazis didn't exist - hell, I removed more than my fair share, though I preferred to unbolt than cut.

And yes, removing  even a small tab - or "altering" a frame - will render it unregisterable in many countries: certainly Switzerland and Germany - and if Germany has a ruling, it's fairly certain that it will eventually be applied across the whole of the European Union.

They already have a ruling about fitting the same size & brand of tyres as the bike was homolgated with, and any 'modifications' need to be certified by a registered engineer.

ya i have the fly trekker helmet which i believe is very similar to what you have.. I figured that i would never use the lock and i thought it just kinda looked out of place..  Once cut the fender covers the cut part so its not exposed

also would you guys recommend I spray the spot with something like primer? or should it be fine filed down smooth?

Yeah,  i think they are identical helmets,  just different company name,  lol   i got mine for $99 shipped a few years ago from revzilla,  one of the best purchases ever imo.   love mine.  strap sometimes feels too close to me adams apple.

the afx is dog crap, wait until you switch to a legit street helmet,,

my current is a super cheap bell arrow $60 right now..and blows the afx out the damn universe

Hey - it's your bike - do with it what you will!

I've restored a few older bikes and it's annoying sometimes that little tabs and hooks have been removed by well-meaning POs, so you can't fit stuff like indicators and stock exhausts - and it's standard bikes which eventually bring the big money when it's time to move them on.

Back in the day, indicators were optional and the noise-nazis didn't exist - hell, I removed more than my fair share, though I preferred to unbolt than cut.

And yes, removing even a small tab - or "altering" a frame - will render it unregisterable in many countries: certainly Switzerland and Germany - and if Germany has a ruling, it's fairly certain that it will eventually be applied across the whole of the European Union.

They already have a ruling about fitting the same size & brand of tyres as the bike was homolgated with, and any 'modifications' need to be certified by a registered engineer.

removing a helmet lock won't make it difficult to install "indicators" or "stock exhaust".. You make it sound like he cut the whole bike in pieces and welded it all back together lol and in the USA you can cut a tiny metal bracket off and not have illegal bike.. Merica' FTW!!

the afx is dog crap, wait until you switch to a legit street helmet,,

my current is a super cheap bell arrow $60 right now..and blows the afx out the damn universe

Would it be right off roading with a street helmet?  no visor?

Never had a helmet with no visor,  i like the fact it blocks the sun in certain times.

He's arguing the fact that a cut/modified bike will be less desirable for someone that wants to make a drz stock again in 20-30 years.

Sure, I can see that.

I'm sure someone here on Thumpertalk will, in 30 years, remanisce his younger days.

When, one day, he comes across an ancient drz with 150k miles on it, under a tarp, leaning against a shed.

3x3 box mod, yoshi pipe and some really bald tires.

And he'll buy it for too much money and decide to rebuild it.

He'll see the cut helmet lock and weep a little.

Because he had locked his helmet to the lock once.

And after a rain, the lock seized, and he broke the f***ing key off in the lock with his beloved helmet still attached.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much about the legality of removing the lock, that might be an Aussie law. I did the same, only because I never used mine and it decided to not unlock the first time I tried to use it after owning the bike for 3 years. I went a step further and removed my upper chain guard and the mounting tabs, it's the little things that make the bike unique.

No law Here .. ( Down Under ) for that device .

The subframe is aluminium so it won't rust at the "amputation" point!

I would just be super careful not to undermine the integrity of the horizontal box section beam because alu can easily faitgue crack as a result of cuts into it's body.

Then again this only affects load bearing capacity past the helmet lock position.

The subframe is aluminium so it won't rust at the "amputation" point!

good point! I just had to double check that the subframe was aluminum.. lol

[quote 150ron"

Would it be right off roading with a street helmet? no visor?

Never had a helmet with no visor, i like the fact it blocks the sun in certain times.

You know Ron . When I bought my bike all I had for a helmet laying around was a Bell moto 3 from circa 1986. . When I used to ride a Yamaha Warrior 350 quad . The helmet was red and looked dated so I bought my buddies helmet from him with the bike a Shoei RF1000 street helmet with a smoke shield and a clear . The helmet was too big , so I padded it out some with some rolled up Scott's shop towels under the padding . The dark shield was too dark in the woods but great everywhere else in daylight . But I felt kind of Dorkish with a street helmet Offroad. I liked the face and eye protection it offered without wearing goggles . When I found a deal on the Icon Variant I had been wanting , I grabbed it . A great deal . But I'll tell you . It's noisy as all Hell . I guess once you've rode in a Shoei you won't be happy unless your in a higher end helmet . The visor on the variant doesn't do much more than exercise your neck muscles from the wind catching it . You have to really try to tip the helmet down and block the sun at that time of day when it blinds you . I'm sure it does some good , but not anything dramatic. I rode with a guy who has the Icon airframe helmet . It looks badass too . But he says it's crazy noisy as well . I'm real close to riding with earplugs , the only reason I haven't is that the helmet came with speakers installed , so I've been enjoying riding wth tunes.. If I can find an old school visor for that moto 3 I think I'll plasti dip it satin black for my Offroad riding to keep from beating up the Variant.

Edited by Masshole DRZ

Never had a helmet with no visor,  i like the fact it blocks the sun in certain times.

I only had a street helmet when I got my drz400, a bell vortex. On the street it is good, sometimes it gets hot, its loud, need earplugs obviously. Come summer I rode in the woods with it hot and humid in Illinois by my standards, I had to lift the lense up which could scratched easy since so big, was hard to breath since chingaurd is so close and just overall bad air flow at low speeds in woods id say with a full-face. Especially the rate in I was going since am new to offroad. Recently I picked on Bell mx-2 dirt bike helmet and on the street I think its great not as loud as the bell Vortex for some reason, it doesnt howl (think that was due to the location for headsets, anyway I still wear earplugs) and the ventilation is much nicer. I dont ride much over 70 mph anyway so visor doesnt do no harm. Only down-side to mx helmet id say would be rain.

• Like 1

It's not a fair comparison, MX and D/S to Street helmets.  Two different helmets for two totally different things.  Running a street helmet off-road in my opinion would suck mainly because it would get really hot and you’d have to keep the face shield down to protect your eyes.

The following is a generalization: noise level (MX>D/S>Street), airflow (MX>D/S>Street) and field of view (MX>D/S>Street).  Then there are things like not being able to run googles in street and some D/S helmets.  MX and D/S helmets that have a visor will pull your head around at higher speeds (freeway).  MX helmets have no face shield and usually the vents are non-adjustable (full-open), which can get cold… 

When I ride my DRZ on the street I switch between my street and MX helmets, depending if I feel like a hooligan or plan on only riding pavement.  I had the AFX FX-39 and while it was a good bang-for-your-buck D/S helmet, its quality and features are sub-par in my opinion.  After a year of trail-riding (falling over, scraping branches and rocks) the helmet it pretty beat (liner is pulling away, vents are busted, metal piece on chin strap is rusting).

Dr. D picked himself up a new D/S helmet, AGV AX-8 DS (I believe for under $400).  If you want to stick with a D/S-type helmet I would recommend something along those lines (AGV, Shoei, Icon, Arai) for: great fit, better/plusher liner, face shield clarity and overall quality.

• Like 1