Sign in to follow this  

Yz250

Thinking about buying a yz250, what year do you recommend? I want a brand new one but then I'd have to sell my 08 crf250r and it's like my first born, just can't do it

2006-2014 is very similar

05- new yz250 aluminum frame

06- new sss suspension (awesome)

07- updates to sss suspension and 1 1/8 bars

08- new rotors

09 same

10 same

11 new longer quieter silencer, slightly lower compression ratio

12 same

13 same

14 same

Im looking toget a yz250 this summer as well if i have enough time to ride. 2006 would be my bottom line, 2007+ would be my preferred for the updated fork internals and fatbars

Theres lots of 06+ yz250s out there cheap, find and nice one and you are good togo.

• Like 2

Don't dismiss the steel frame models! I picked one up for $900, and have just added the SSS forks for $500. I don't think I'm giving anything away to the newer aluminum framed models!!

• Like 1

I thought it just retarded the ignition...

That's exactly what it does. The switch only works in neutral and as soon as you shift it goes back to normal. It also helped with emissions while in neutral.

GoYamaha

I thought it was only to pass sound tests. Many bikes have this sensor now for that very reason.

OP, if you get one of these bikes, you will enjoy it. Funny username though.

Edited by MXRider72
  • Like 1

The switch to the updated style forks was in 08. They went with a slimmer looking fork gaurds and new bolt pattern. Also switched the front brake mount off the fork lug.

That censor was in 2011. Alls it really does is change the way the bike sounds in neutral. Just for sound testing. It was on my 11, and I put an older motor in it temporarily and just tape off the wire so dirt doesn't get in it. I've even heard of people either clipping the wire or taken it completely off. DrD sells a red ano cover.