Sign in to follow this  

88 xr 600 countershaft

Just pulled the trust old steed in for a pull down and thorough cleaning. After pulling chain and countershaft sprocket I find the countershaft sprocket splines to be worn about 50%. Makes the countershaft sprocket have significant slop before it engages. Is this common? Had the bike since about 1990 and have rode the crap out of it. Has never had the head off just regular maintenance.

Was going for new tires new plastic and a clean up but am I going deeper?

Also 1988 is a one of year for exhaust and I broke my Cobra silencer, do other year headers and mufflers fit? Cobra no longer make the 88 muffler and can't find one on e-bay.

How many splines does the Countershaft shaft have,,That dictates whether you can swap in the 650R sprocket

which most here do on later model XR600 and XR650L..Yes it;s a common problem. If it's totalled now the options

are weld the sprocket on with a couple of spots or tear the engine down to the gearbox and replace the shaft with

the later model 650L or XR600 one,,More splines on those shafts so you can then run the 650R countershaft sprocket.

No you won't find another muffler to fit the twin pipe header to muffler connection,,Rare,,no one makes them.

Swap in an earlier model XR/XL header then you can run any can to the single header connection as that is the

most common type of connection for XR,,Or,,make an adapter to take the two pipes into one,,An exhaust shop

would be able to do it..A skilled man in those places is worth his weight in gold,,Met one the other day,,he was an amazing fab/weld guy..probably worth 3 times whatever the boss payed him per hour.

Edited by Horri

Thanks Horri, I think I'll do the weld trick for now (it is 6 spline) and plan on changing the CS when rebuild time comes around. The exhaust info helps. Again thanks