Sign in to follow this  

what size/type bike do you recommend

Hello,

What size or type of bike will fit me for the follow information

34 yrs old

5'-11", 170lbs

I never rode a dirt bike (getting dirtbike lessons this week)

only will ride on trails, dirt parks, grass, mud (anything besides street)

Will not be racing and just wanna have fun

I am not mechanical inclined, but there is local dirt bike mechanic nearby.

I do have money for annually mechanical needs

I prefer 4 stroke (i don't know why)

Local mechanic recommended 250cc for me

Choices are 125ccm 150cc, 250cc

Budget about $1800

Houston Texas

Thank you

Edited by goodoboy

never road dirt bike (getting dirtbike lessons this week)

Based solely on your experience level, I recommend a CR500. You'll need the extra power for your lesson.

Based solely on your experience level, I recommend a CR500. You'll need the extra power for your lesson.

CR500 seems a bit much huh?

If you dont have the money for annual mechanic needs, you might want to look into another sport... it can get very pricey, very quick.

But, for the question. Budget wise, a 250 stroke would be very doable, but it is a lot of bike starting out with. 

I would say a 250F. But the budget at $1800 wont get you a very nice one to be honest. Youll find bikes at that price, but 10/10 times they need about $1000 in engine work, or more.

A 250 series would be fine for your age, skill level, and intended type of riding.. trails, grass, mud, parks, etc. If you get anything smaller, you will simply not be happy and will end up wanting more torque, power, pull, and speed. (Spending more money on mod's and upgrades.)

As far as which make/model 250.. I always support the Red Team. However, they are all good bikes. The key is finding a bike that is not ragged out and in need of a total overhaul from the ground up. It's better to spend a little more money on the initial purchase, and save money in the long run having to rebuild/overhaul the bike once you get it home.

Good luck.

I would look for something like an XR 250 or TTR 250.  Great bikes for learning on, virtually no maintenance needed.  As long as you change the oil and clean the air filter every now and again, you will be good to go.  Those air cooled 4 stroke trail/play bikes are bullet proof.  And, once you get the hang of riding and feel you want more bike, they lose very little in their resale value.

If you dont have the money for annual mechanic needs, you might want to look into another sport... it can get very pricey, very quick.

But, for the question. Budget wise, a 250 stroke would be very doable, but it is a lot of bike starting out with. 

I would say a 250F. But the budget at $1800 wont get you a very nice one to be honest. Youll find bikes at that price, but 10/10 times they need about $1000 in engine work, or more.

Thank you

Annual cost to maintain is no problem for me.

I will post some here from CL

I would look for something like an XR 250 or TTR 250.  Great bikes for learning on, virtually no maintenance needed.  As long as you change the oil and clean the air filter every now and again, you will be good to go.  Those air cooled 4 stroke trail/play bikes are bullet proof.  And, once you get the hang of riding and feel you want more bike, they lose very little in their resale value.

Thank you