Sign in to follow this  

Are these stock forks?

Hey all, just bought a 02 cr125 and never noticed when I was looking at the bike that, the fork tubes are a different color than the stock ones should be. A 02 should have silver kyb fork tubes, while mine are a flat bronze color. There not a shinny bronze like later model showa's. is there anyway to tell if theses are the stock forks? Guessing that the previous owner re-anodized the tubes.... Also I ordered a new set of 02 fork guards so that should give a hint. I also noticed that the cr has diffrent fork guards than my stock 05 crf250r so of that helps!

Please anyone! Anything will help, thanks!

Here's the bike

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398131206.364136.jpg

Looks like someone hard anodized the stock, or period correct, CR125 KYB forks.

Looks like someone hard anodized the stock, or period correct, CR125 KYB forks.

Anyway to be sure? Like manufacturers markings??

if you take the wheel off there is a code and just search the code on google. i have a 95 cr250 and when i was changing the seals i couldnt fit the stock seals that were 43mm because my forks were 1996 or newer forks that are 46mm... the number was on the bottom inside of the fork leg

if you take the wheel off there is a code and just search the code on google. i have a 95 cr250 and when i was changing the seals i couldnt fit the stock seals that were 43mm because my forks were 1996 or newer forks that are 46mm... the number was on the bottom inside of the fork leg

Sweet man, hopefully there's a number there on mine! I'll check it out thanks!

Hey man, did what you said and found this code kx4 r-1. I searched the code on google and found a bunch of nothing.... Any where in mind where to look?

i dont see that part number on the page... take a nice vernier caliper and do a quick measurement to at least know the size of the forks. Im new to this, i bought my first dirtbike about a month ago. never have rode a dirtbike untill i took the cr250 for a  test ride and almost looped out. i decided it would be fast enough and bought it. since ive replaced the leaky fork seals, the chain and sprockets, the sticky throttle, and there were cracks in the header pipe and eventually blew a hole about 2" wide so that comes in tomorrow. im just hoping it holds together pretty well after all this work so i can actually get some time on the bike to build confidence because it scares the shit out of me. but hey my favorite quote is: "If you feel like your in control, your just not going fast enough". why are you wondering about your forks anyways? 

IF your forks have the compression adjustment clickers on the bottom and rebound clickers on the top, then it's almost guaranteed yours is KYB open chamber forks.

Showa twin chamber forks have comp clickers on top, rebound on bottom

i dont see that part number on the page... take a nice vernier caliper and do a quick measurement to at least know the size of the forks. Im new to this, i bought my first dirtbike about a month ago. never have rode a dirtbike untill i took the cr250 for a test ride and almost looped out. i decided it would be fast enough and bought it. since ive replaced the leaky fork seals, the chain and sprockets, the sticky throttle, and there were cracks in the header pipe and eventually blew a hole about 2" wide so that comes in tomorrow. im just hoping it holds together pretty well after all this work so i can actually get some time on the bike to build confidence because it scares the shit out of me. but hey my favorite quote is: "If you feel like your in control, your just not going fast enough". why are you wondering about your forks anyways?

Nice man! Everyone has to start somewhere! And I want to know just for reference when I start setting them up for my weight. I have the oem manual, so I know what they look like inside and all, but I dident want to start tearing them down and then realizing these aren't the stock forks lol

IF your forks have the compression adjustment clickers on the bottom and rebound clickers on the top, then it's almost guaranteed yours is KYB open chamber forks.

Showa twin chamber forks have comp clickers on top, rebound on bottom

Yes, rebound is on the top and compression is at the bottom. Would they be kyb 46 single chambers? That what I heard they put on the 02-03 cr125