Sign in to follow this  

1997 kx100 oil (Help!)

So for a wile now I've been following the forums on here and it's just a great community. So here I come to ask what oil do I get? My bike is a non KIPS or (Power Valve) model being as it's and early 97. I had a water seal blow out on me and long story short, I was ashamed when I saw the strawberry milk in the case glass. What oil will help with my clutch and won't break the bank on me when I go to flush out the cases?

Just use the cheapest 10w-40 oil you can find at the auto store. Once you replace that seal, buy a gallon of it and fill, run, drain, repeat until it is back to normal. Refill with a quality oil once you're finished flushing it out.

Use ATF type F. The high detergent levels in ATF will do a great job of cleaning the crankcase out.

You should keep running the ATF afterwards too, you'll like it. It's all I use in my gear box.

Thanks guys, I heard about the ATF type F too but I was suspicious. Once I'm done flushing it out I think I might go with BelRay 10w40 to finish it up.

Suspicious why? Why would you be suspicious of running a transmission lube in a transmission?

Cause of the clutch plates. One of my friends ran something like this and the steels in the clutch ended up getting annihilated by swollen fibers.

Cause of the clutch plates. One of my friends ran something like this and the steels in the clutch ended up getting annihilated by swollen fibers.

Not from ATF. Sounds more like he ran an additive with seal swellers in it that's designed to stop leaks.

The clutches in an automatic transmission are almost identical to the clutches in our engines. So similar that I bet there's auto tranny clutches out there that your clutch plates would probably fit in.

• Like 1

Well just an update, I flushed out my case with some F-type ATF lubricant. Well I was ridding back in the woods I was hitting some good whoops. I come home happy and ready to use some good oil. Well when I leaned the bike against the house oil dropped out of the drain plug. I thought "oh I didn't tighten it enough". Well when I looked under the bike my heart sank. The plug was missing, and so was all the oil I used. I rode it a mile or two without it. Long story short I pluged it with a spare bolt, and dropped the new stuff in it to see the moment of truth, to see if I did damage...

I took it down the drive way and it went through every gear on command. I guess the plug must have fallen out when I was comming home cause the clutch and everything is flawless. So now I'm hapoily satisfied with the work, even though I'm still a little worried on the tranny.

Eh, there was probably enough lube left in there to hopefully not hurt it. 

ATF Type F, good shit!  Speaking of.  I need to make a run to the cycle shop this week and pick up some more oil mix for a ride coming up