Sign in to follow this  

Stuck In Mid-Air "OH SH*T" Moments

It has comes to my attention that when jumping if my front end comes up too much my body just freezes. I know the right thing to do is to hit the rear brake but why am i just freezing up like this. Whenever my front end goes down, giving my bike a quick panic rev is a second nature to me but hitting the rear brake is another story. Am I the only one who does this?? Any tips on fixing this problem? 

The best thing you can do is purposely put yourself in those positions and practice tapping your rear brake.  Find a  easy "safe" tabletop and practice hitting it leaning back a little with your weight towards the rear then tap the rear brake to bring it down.  Practice this for a couple hours straight and by the end of the day you'll feel comfortable tapping the rear brake on any jump, it'll be 2nd nature when the front end is to high, you won't even think about it.

• Like 1

even if you can hit the rear brake chances are it won't be enough to bring your front end down in the situations you describe. Rear brake is for relatively fine adjustments and doesn't work well unless you already in good body/bike position. The majority of control jumping comes from adjustments you make on the face. It sounds like you need to focus on more basic jumping technique before you worry about brake tapping. It can't hurt to practice tapping like posted above, but I don't think it will solve your problem. Having basic bike control is more important.

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 4

You can make fairly large adjustments in the air between the brake tap and moving your body weight and pushing the bike around, but like was said above its best to be ahead of the curve instead of making large erratic movement and fighting to fix mistakes already have the bike where you want it and flow with it.

Mistakess happen though and practicing how to adjust in the air is a good skill, practice on smaller jumps, you can brake tap even when your not super nose high just to get a feel for it doing it and how it reacts. Practice manipulating the bike with your body as well.