Will a 1985 XL600 carb work in a 1986 XR600?

Not identical but should work. There are quite a few models of dual carbs through the years, the model number will be stamped into the side of the right carb.

The main difference as far as swapping goes is the choke mechanism. Xl usually has a remote choke knob while xr will have a lever on the side of the carb

The other thing you will want to check is the jetting.

So do you think this will require a specific part or are they generally universal?

They may require a different shaped main jet ,,It's no big deal. If you decide to go ahead with the swap report back and

someone will point you in the direction of the correct jets. The sizes of the jets will definetly need changing..

Possibly also the needles will need swapping around..

As has been mentioned the choke setup is different..You may be able to use the XL or XR choke system on either,,that

can wait till you have the carbs. Not as easy as it seems swapping the carbs around between the two. I put XL twins on my

86 XR after giving up trying to sort  the XR ones out..Even with the XL carbs I never got it running right..You're experience

may be different,,No guarantees with carb swaps..Now that I think back on it I didn't swap around the needles,,there may have

been the problem.. :banghead:

Edited by Horri

For the choke, there are a few types of plungers. They are all the same bore and stroke but some have a needle coming off the bottom and some are flat on the bottom. If both of yours are the same, you should be able to swap the xr choke plunger and lever onto the xl carb. If they are different, let us know what you have and there may be a few cheap options. You do have both sets of carbs right? I guess i just assumed. Oh yeah, if you remove chokes dont break the stupid plastic nut that holds it in. They break easy.

For the choke, there are a few types of plungers. They are all the same bore and stroke but some have a needle coming off the bottom and some are flat on the bottom. If both of yours are the same, you should be able to swap the xr choke plunger and lever onto the xl carb. If they are different, let us know what you have and there may be a few cheap options. You do have both sets of carbs right? I guess i just assumed. Oh yeah, if you remove chokes dont break the stupid plastic nut that holds it in. They break easy.