Sign in to follow this  

What bike should i buy for trail riding as a beginner?

So I am looking to buy a used dirtbike for tight trail riding and some sand pit riding. I don't know whether to buy a 150 or 250 4 stroke. My friends tell me the 250 is too much power for me considering I am a beginner. And my brother in law tells me to get a 250 because I will get bored of a 150 as soon as I learn. Any suggestions would be great. I have ridden a 125 4 stroke a couple times so I know how to shift and I know the basics of dirt bikes.

Im 19, weigh 150 lbs and im 5' 11"

Edited by Leahy

Also, if anyone is selling a good bike in new jersey, let me know.

Bored with a 150 is BS. I know 'A' riders that fly on those things. In fact, for off road, I'd consider the KTM150 a higher level bike than a 250F.

Although, I do agree that a 250F would be easier to learn on. Smoother power, slower revving.

A used CRF230F would be the absolute easiest to learn on.

What do your friends ride? If your plan is casual trail riding, a CRF230F would probably be all you'd ever need. If they are serious riders, and you're reasonably athletic/coordinated, at 19, you'll learn pretty fast to adapt to a 250F or a 150.

Admittedly, I wouldn't buy a used 250F from someone I did not know their history. People are bad about dumping them when they know they're about to need a lot of re-work (or maybe it's just some of the people I know.) A 150 2T is much less risk of major expense.

• Like 2

Bored with a 150 is BS. I know 'A' riders that fly on those things. In fact, for off road, I'd consider the KTM150 a higher level bike than a 250F.

I get the feeling the 150 in question would be a 4 stroke.  In which case, the OP would most likely get bored of once basic skills are learned.  

Although, I do agree that a 250F would be easier to learn on. Smoother power, slower revving.

What do your friends ride? If your plan is casual trail riding, a CRF230F would probably be all you'd ever need. If they are serious riders, and you're reasonably athletic/coordinated, at 19, you'll learn pretty fast to adapt to a 250F or a 150.

Admittedly, I wouldn't buy a used 250F from someone I did not know their history. People are bad about dumping them when they know they're about to need a lot of re-work (or maybe it's just some of the people I know.) A 150 2T is much less risk of major expense.

I was talking about both 4 strokes. Would your answer be the same? And my friends ride a Honda Crf150 and Suzuki Drz125's

Edited by Leahy

I was talking about both 4 strokes. Would your answer be the same?

I was talking about both 4 strokes. Would your answer be the same?

Crf230, my wife has a 150, she's about 5'5" and stands flat footed on hers. You'll be more comfortable on a taller bike.

The bad thing about that level of bike is the are underpowered, slow revving, and overweight.

The good thing is they are easy to ride, cheap to buy and will run forever.

I do think you could handle a 250F if you really wanted too, but you'll probably have more fun with your friends on a similar bike.

Your call!

Good luck!

Sand pit riding requires heavy revving and creates high temps for long periods at slower speeds, especially with a new rider. That is very very hard on a 250F. I would choose a 2stroke just for that reason.

A crf 150r big wheel wouldn't be boring for quite awhile those bikes have good power and suspension, also a 125 2 stroke would be a great bike for the riding you suggested and they are great to learn clutch control and really all the fundamentals to be a good rider

A crf 150r big wheel wouldn't be boring for quite awhile those bikes have good power and suspension, also a 125 2 stroke would be a great bike for the riding you suggested and they are great to learn clutch control and really all the fundamentals to be a good rider

Ive heard a 2 stroke isn't really good for ripping through trails because they have less torque and have crazy power bands in the mid end. Is that true?

Ok so from what ive been told about a 230, is they aren't very good for jumping. And that's mostly what I would be eventually doing in a sand pit. So im in between a 125 2 stroke and a 250f. For sand, I guess a 125 2 stroke would be best. But a 250f would be better for trails? Im looking at a 2007 Crf250r tomorrow for 24-2500. Is that a good deal?

Ive heard a 2 stroke isn't really good for ripping through trails because they have less torque and have crazy power bands in the mid end. Is that true?

2 stroke in general? No, that's not true. Smaller bore 2 strokes will make you work a little harder in the tight stuff. Cc for cc, 2 strokes have morr hp and torque than a 4 stroke. They just tend to have more wheel spin than a 4 stroke. Mods can be done to help with that, though.

In my opinion 2 strokes are great in the trails and like I said it will teach you good clutch control and power awareness and those are skills that you will take with you and make you a better rider on any bike, also maintenance and rebuilds are gonna be cheaper on the 2t as opposed to a 250f, once you start jumping it will have all the suspension you need, plus alot of fun in the sand, good luck on your decision

The suspension on a 150f would be OK in the trails.. but not recommended for jumping. I ride a rm 125 in the trails and i do fine with hill climbs, sand pits, mud, deep water crossing etc.. My first bike was a 125 2 stroke and i don't regret it.

I recently rode a 150f and it was tons of fun in the trails but the suspension wasn't the greatest, but i had way more fun on the 150f than i did on my 125, FUN WISE.

Since you said you're looking at a 125 2 stroke or 250f i'd go for a 125 2 stroke. 2 strokes are cheaper to maintain and fairly easy for the average joe. I'd only get a 4 stroke such as a 250f or 450f if i had lots of money to spare for a rebuild. But thats just my opinion.  :ride:  :ride: 

There are basically three 150s out there. Of four strokes there is the Honda CRF150F. It is a cheap air cooled kiddie bike. The CRF150R is a moderately expensive full race bike, kiddie sized. The two stroke 150 is the KTM 150SX or 150XC. They are adult sized full race bikes and are quite expensive.

So one of your buddies is definitely riding a kid's bike with the DR-Z125. The other with the 150 may or may not be.

That begs the question, do you want a similar small bike as your friends have, do you want a larger but tame bike like a CRF230 or TTR225, or do you want an adult race bike like a 125 two stroke or a 250F?

Can't make a recommendation until you decide what route to take.

Get a big boy bike, you're big enough and old enough to understand how to cover the clutch when things get squirrelly. You'll live

I recently picked up a 2007 Crf250r for 2450. It has a stock motor. Never raced (or so im told). Very clean with fmf factory 4.1 slip on exhaust. Its actually extremely loud so I need to find a way to quiet it down so I don't get the cops called when riding through trails. The guy gave me brand new rear and front tire along with new graphics, seat cover, and chain lube. I think I made out pretty well. Thank you for all of the suggestions, it really helped. I went a rode it yesterday through trails, loose sand, and mud. I did alright. Sand and mud are hard for me to keep goin straight lol. If anyone has any tips on how to ride though those conditions it would be greatly appreciated and also if you know a way to make it any more quiet that would be great. Thank you guys

• Like 1