Sign in to follow this  

Is KTM Taking Over the Woods World?

I just got back from 3 days at an off-road park in Georgia. Must have been about 50 bikes there. About 40 KTM's, a few Hondas, a few Kawis .... and me, the only guy on a Yami.

What gives?

• Like 2

It's definitely a sea of orange at my States 2 Hare Scramble and Cross Country series. The KTM's are very purpose built for off road. I have a pal though who's 39 and has been riding for 14 years. He has always been a top guy in our State and has done well in Texas races too. When he was younger he rode ktm in AA. After two years away from racing while working 2 jobs and putting his wife through college he's back racing in Over 30 expert and winning while usually placing 2nd or 3rd overall. His bike of choice is a 2014 Yamaha YZ 250 2 Stroke. He is really killing it. :)

• Like 1

It's because the brands we were on when we were teens have pulled back in the USA and are concentrating on what we used to call "3rd World Countries".

So, today, we get the leftovers.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 2

'A' level and above can do really well on straight MX bikes (any brand), although the YZ250 is pretty easy to set up for woods for any level rider.

The fact is that the japs have never been really serious about off road. Unless you're getting paid to ride them, or really hate KTM, no one considers CRFX's & WR's as race bikes.

• Like 1

the wannabes see russell/mullins on orange and think they need to be on orange to win as well.

monkey see, monkey do

plus, the other colors have almost completely cut their offroad support programs.

• Like 2

Unless you're getting paid to ride them, or really hate KTM, no one considers CRFX's & WR's as race bikes.

Seems KTM dominates the recreational market as well.

Quite simply, KTM is reacting to the market and building the models which people want. Meanwhile, the Jap companies offer ZERO off road bikes which, off the showroom floor, are even close to the same league as a KTM. Jap companies focus on motocross bikes.

I have not gone KTM because every PDS suspension which I have ridden would get scary at race pace. BUT- With the new combinations of features on the recent KTMs and Husqvarnas, it won't be a shocker if I go to the KTM/Husky camp myself someday soon. The FE350 looks almost too sweet to get dirty. Main problem with an FE350 today, is that there aren't any to buy.

KTMs are amazing bikes for off-road. Everything from the trail oriented suspension, to offset rake and even higher footpegs has given them the benefit.

The real reason they are becoming more popular is because all of the other jap bikes are becoming increasingly expensive and are now similar to ktm. When I was real young, I rode japs because they were much cheaper and cheaper parts. I was in he yank dealer yesterday and they wanted 8,888 for a 2013 yz450f!! I remember looking at KTMs that were 6500 about 6-7 years ago and think hat was outrageous. Ktm's fully fitted for off-road and trail riding now are about the same as an out the door MX bike. You would have to throw 1000 dollars into that bike immediately to get the same options as a ktm.

• Like 3

Ktm owns the woods world. i am an east coast rider and long time ktm owner. Their bikes are second to none . The yz250 smokerz are right up there with the orange bikes . Flywheel weight and a few low cost mods and you have a woodsracer that is and will be a competetive machine for years with proper care . I run ktm 250sx & 450sxf motocross bikes in the woods and love them. The power and suspension suit me well , and their quality/durability is outstanding. The guys who run yz smokers in the woods love them as much as ktm owners love their bikes. Its a shame the asians only concentrate on moto. But,,,,with johnny campbell getting his bunch into gncc , maybe that will change a little.

• Like 2

Betas are okay but they lack a lot of aftermarket support. I love the one that come from the factory with a rekluse. They have a long way to make a name for themselves like ktm

• Like 1

And don't forget eStart. It's  nice to have on an MX bike but a must have on a hard core technical woods bike. Maybe not for worcs and gncc stuff but most of us use our offroad bikes for trails and technical stuff too. In that environment I would not consider a kick only bike. I use my yzf mostly for track and open terrain riding. When I ride woods and technical stuff its my xcf-w all the way.

Beta is actually pretty solid. All of their components are a quality like brembo brakes, stainless beak lines, rekluse clutch, pro taper bars and I believe KTM coordinates with BETA.

As far as never having a trail bike without e-start.... Get a rekluse, problem solved. Start once and only once even after dumping the bike

• Like 1

Beta is actually pretty solid. All of their components are a quality like brembo brakes, stainless beak lines, rekluse clutch, pro taper bars and I believe KTM coordinates with BETA.

As far as never having a trail bike without e-start.... Get a rekluse, problem solved. Start once and only once even after dumping the bike

Did that with my kxf. Really nice. For anybody who converts an mx bike for wood and is annoyed with a tall 1 st gear like I was. The rekluse solved that problem as well. Maybe I'm getting old n lazy but It made the technical stuff so much more pleasant.

Sea of orange here too in CO. KTM has dominated most motorcycle events and now just recently the MX scene. I choose KTM because they have truly mastered the 2T world and I wanted a versatile 300 2T. When the Jap companies quit making 2T, KTM moved forward, spending big $$ on R&D and it paid off! If you buy a Beta or a Husquavarna, you have also bought a KTM. Welcome to the family! :thumbsup:

Betas are okay but they lack a lot of aftermarket support. I love the one that come from the factory with a rekluse. They have a long way to make a name for themselves like ktm

except they can turn... lol

Here in SC, the trails are 70% orange, 20% blue, and 10% "other". I have been killed by guys on YZs, but the 300 2T with estart is a magical machine. I would love to try the other 300 2Ts, but there is a local KTM dealer with a phenomenal reputation. I can't imagine enjoying any bike more than I do this one. I am an old, heavy, slower rider and the 300 is perfect for me. There are younger guys absolutely wailing the same bike and loving it, too. It is a well set up, versatile machine