Sign in to follow this  

100 Leak Jet?

The stock 100 leak jet worked great if you liked bogging. I remember (11 yrs ago in 2003) when I was dealing with the bog. Leak jets were a new thing with the revised FCR so not widely discussed. I had tried some progressively smaller leak jets, and thought a 70 was the deal. But one day looked in my jets and found a 50 jet from my RM250's powerjet system. That jet looked just like the YZF's leak jet (same jet). YEE HAW, that 50 was the bomb!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/87367-solution-to-my-03-yz250f-bogging-problem/?hl=%2Bleak

Edited by BazookaJoe

I have a 2003 WR 250 F also and I'm looking to improve the jetting I think mine is completely stock and owners manual says that it has a 90 leak jet ....from reading your other post looks like I may drop down the main and down on the leak Jet but maybe go up from my 40 stock. pilot jet with free mods .. I included pic from manual of stock jetting madeImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398313100.753984.jpg

I LITERALLY just put in a 60 from a stock 80. I have an 06 and I thought it had balls before. Rippin power wheelies in third gear! Kind of a dumb question, but I've never ridden a tuned bike. Does anyone think I could go down in size anymore? I don't really know how the bike should run.....

I am running a 40. Most guys are running 40 to 50. You be the judge. Use the saying there is no right nor wrong jetting numbers, it either works great or not.

Testing is the key.

Is there a package that offers multiple leak jets or even other jets? I know of the JD kit but I heard it only and the main and needles

I had a 60 leak in my 2006 the past two seasons, just swapped to a 50 and I could tell a slight difference I can say I'm finally happy with it.

How do you know what drill bit to use? Are you soldering the 100 and just drilling a smaller hole? How well do you think solder will hold up- I'd be afraid of it busting loose and getting into the engine

No worries about the solder falling out. It's stuck in there forever. However, I wouldn't suggest to drill it out (not sure I suggested to drill it out, but apparently so.)

It's going to be kind of tough to drill it out accurately IMO. #60 = .60 mm inside diameter = .024" diameter. Even if you have a drill that small, a drill bit won't give you the accuracy required. You would need a reamer to get the accuracy of a jet, which is probably somewhere about +/-.0005".

I asked about the drilling because ronbuell said that's what he would do. I don't have a machine shop so I couldn't try this myself. Seems like a better option then spending 7 dollars per jet though

Something you can do, is to buy the jet from a Honda CRF150R (the racer). Honda jets are a buck or two less.

• Like 1

No worries about the solder falling out. It's stuck in there forever. However, I wouldn't suggest to drill it out (not sure I suggested to drill it out, but apparently so.)

It's going to be kind of tough to drill it out accurately IMO. #60 = .60 mm inside diameter = .024" diameter. Even if you have a drill that small, a drill bit won't give you the accuracy required. You would need a reamer to get the accuracy of a jet, which is probably somewhere about +/-.0005".

Joe / RHW

Just got #94606 Harbor Freight drill set, and I do have an old VW ream set with gauges. I've done main jetting many times, though this is a whole different ballgame since these are so small... we'll see. And NO, the solder does not come out provided you get the jet hot enough for it to stick.

Will post results if storms don't interfere.

Oh yeah, Harbor Freight is great stuff and they are where all the tool and die shops buy their tools. Just funning here...

Seriously though, yeah, give it a go, but don't expect the world from a $4 drill set. And remember that the bore will be neither smooth nor cylindrical. And your expected tolerance will be somewhere in the -.001 to +.003 or so. You should get a $20 reamer to get the bore nice and true and accurate.

In the end though, it's just a leak jet so it's not like you're going to ruin anything. Myself, I wouldn't work so hard to make something they sell at the store.

Edited by BazookaJoe

you really think a drill set from harbor freight even has a .0005 tolerance?

here is your 60...errrrr 90....well really 105

Yes, actually, people are running 40-60, and my last exercise showed a 60 worked well with the WR, so I'm thinking if I can get between 50 and 75, that'll be close enough. I'm thinking this is like horse shoes... close enough since I'm just a trail rider. Now if I was hooking up my buddies exhaust gas analyzer and measuring the N02, then I'd have to be more precise.

Joe,

Yeah, the drill set had 5 bits that measured .54mm, so I'm thinking by the time it ran the bur out, it was at .6 mm.

I just installed it in the bowl and it went from non-existent squirt to actually squirting out the carb throat with a stream like the WR, its a success.

Rain still holding off so I may get a ride report in!

Nope, lightening, rain and tornados poping.... sorry. I'll get back later.

Edited by ronbuell