Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

California Anyone else ride Edwards A.F.B. and Desert Wheels early '70's?

My friends and I lived on base and got to go everywhere even some places we weren't supposed to. We even skimmed the edge of the main runway once! There was an old B-58 dumped out in the sticks that was fun to crawl on. We went out to the old rocket sled track and that was cool-there were these buildings out there that weren't locked that had all kinds of great stuff in it but being honest kids we didn't take anything. We also would ride to this area by the rocket testing site towards Boron near where they kept all these old planes on concrete slabs. There was an area out there where there were a bunch of old observation towers and some really deep holes and we would haul up the towers junk that was already there and see if we could drop it and bounce it into one of the seemingly bottomless holes.
Riding out to Rosamond and Red Hill was great. We went into one mine at Red Hill and there were bats and an old case of dynamite. Another nearby went about 150 ft. in and then went straight down. When you dropped a big boulder in you never heard it hit bottom! My friend wanted me to let him down to the first level by his belt down to some rickety ladder. I said no way Jose. It would have been fun to explain what happened to him to his parents! I looked for this mine years later but the safety bastards sealed it up. 
There was an Airman who rode a Husky 400 Cross that left quite an impression on me-what a bike out there in the day. We rode out to the Ponderosa racetrack a few times when it was quite the track. Saw Russ Weatherwax out there who owned the Lassie Dog line and saw the guy with Cookie the dog on a rug on his Husky gas tank, J.N. Roberts and others! 
High School out there was not the best of times for me and riding dirt bikes was a great escape-the freedom we had with gasoline 29 cents a gal.! 
Some of the kids who rode back then were Mike Shively, Tom Beck, the Rickards, Bill Twinting, Mike and Artie Godwin, the Nelson Bros.-Mark and John, Gary Benge,John Albach, Howard Jolly, Tom Brown, Alan and Mark Deveraux, Ken Shawler(who was killed on a dirt bike in front of me when I lived there) Rick Doughty and many more that my 54 year old memory can't recall. I'll think about riding out there and some more memories will return!

• Like 3

I remember seeing John McCown and Kookie racing out in the desert in the 70's.  The bright pink color of the Invaders :thumbsup:

I have always felt the northwest corner of Edwards was some of the best riding in the western Mojave. The Lost Coyotes put on 2 desert races in 82 & 83 starting behind the hospital and 1st check was the red hill then back to 50th st and the ridge trail.I and sometimes others would ride from my house in Lancaster up across Rosamond dry lake and north to the old railroad depot. From there in the old days would ride to Red Mtn. for gas and back. Would ride over to Buckhorn dry lake and to the office on 90th and E for a beer. Once rode an enduro put on by the Desert Wheels that started on Rosamond dry lake. !st race my son rode was a Desert Wheels hare scrambles behind the stables in 67.

My friends and I lived on base and got to go everywhere even some places we weren't supposed to. We even skimmed the edge of the main runway once! There was an old B-58 dumped out in the sticks that was fun to crawl on. We went out to the old rocket sled track and that was cool-there were these buildings out there that weren't locked that had all kinds of great stuff in it but being honest kids we didn't take anything. We also would ride to this area by the rocket testing site towards Boron near where they kept all these old planes on concrete slabs. There was an area out there where there were a bunch of old observation towers and some really deep holes and we would haul up the towers junk that was already there and see if we could drop it and bounce it into one of the seemingly bottomless holes.

Riding out to Rosamond and Red Hill was great. We went into one mine at Red Hill and there were bats and an old case of dynamite. Another nearby went about 150 ft. in and then went straight down. When you dropped a big boulder in you never heard it hit bottom! My friend wanted me to let him down to the first level by his belt down to some rickety ladder. I said no way Jose. It would have been fun to explain what happened to him to his parents! I looked for this mine years later but the safety bastards sealed it up. 

There was an Airman who rode a Husky 400 Cross that left quite an impression on me-what a bike out there in the day. We rode out to the Ponderosa racetrack a few times when it was quite the track. Saw Russ Weatherwax out there who owned the Lassie Dog line and saw the guy with Cookie the dog on a rug on his Husky gas tank, J.N. Roberts and others! 

High School out there was not the best of times for me and riding dirt bikes was a great escape-the freedom we had with gasoline 29 cents a gal.! 

Some of the kids who rode back then were Mike Shively, Tom Beck, the Rickards, Bill Twinting, Mike and Artie Godwin, the Nelson Bros.-Mark and John, Gary Benge,John Albach, Howard Jolly, Tom Brown, Alan and Mark Deveraux, Ken Shawler(who was killed on a dirt bike in front of me when I lived there) Rick Doughty and many more that my 54 year old memory can't recall. I'll think about riding out there and some more memories will return!

Are people allowed to ride anywhere on edwards anymore? 

Very cool stories, too bad there doesn't seem to be any derelict planes or stuff to come across these days.

I definitely feel like I missed a calling not growing up out in SoCal.