Sign in to follow this  

Switched to KTM after 5 years on kawi

Hi guys,

As the title says, been a long time riding Kawasaki's and honda's.

This is my first KTM a 2013 450 SXF.

I really like the bike except from the fact that I can't feel comfortable with the ergonomics.

First time I sat on it it felt like I was sitting too high.

On the Honda and Kawi it seems like you sit more into the bike rather than on it like you do on KTM's

Do any of you feel that way?

I did a research and could not find any treads on it.

I'm thinking of shaving the seat a little or rising the handlebars.

Thanks,

Yea, the current KTM's have flat seats, not curved seats like the Japanese bikes.

The bars are also slightly higher then the stockers on the KX and RM, so that also adds to the ergonomics. However, unlike the KX and RM, you can adjust the bar position forward and back, which is nice, it helps get you more comfortable.

A lot of guys complain about the peg to seat distance, its for sure a taller bike in that dimension. However, fatter/wider pegs fix that for most people.

Yeah that's what I'm having a hard time adjusting to.

Are there any lower seats sold by acerbis or other company?

I would have tought I would fit right for most bikes as I am 5' 11'' tall.

It's more the seat to bars distance that I'm tryring to adjust.

Dany

Edited by dany789

No Duhameister the vibration is not bad at all.

yes it does vibrate a little more but barely noticeable unless riding back to back from kawi to KTM

in fact the feel of the bike while riding is pretty good aside from the above observations I made.

Seems well put together also.

Yes Mx481 I just found that on their web site.

Will certainly give it a try.

Thanks all,

So your problem is purely the seat to bar distance? Youre totally fine when standing? It may be the bar bend in that case. If the bar bends arent the same from what you were using with your kawi, you may want to look at that first. And as stated previously, perhaps moving the bar clamps to a different position in the triple clamp would help.

Edited by motonack
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

As the title says, been a long time riding Kawasaki's and honda's.

This is my first KTM a 2013 450 SXF.

I really like the bike except from the fact that I can't feel comfortable with the ergonomics.

First time I sat on it it felt like I was sitting too high.

Make sure that you set the race sag for your weight.  For a little less 'stinkbug' feel you might try increasing the sag a little more.

• Like 1

Make sure that you set the race sag for your weight.  For a little less 'stinkbug' feel you might try increasing the sag a little more.

Thanks,

I have read different opinions about sag settings on this bike.

Would 105mm be in the ballpark?

Also, from reading magazines it seems that this bike is quite responsive to sag and fork height.

So I guess that getting the correct settings is instrumental compared to other brands I had.

Edited by dany789

I replaced my seat with an EE (Enduro Engineering) seat....... they have a wide range (at least for a 250xcfw) of heights/foam characteristics........KTM's bar bend and position can be 'DIFFERENT' when switching from another manufacturer........ try some different settings????

I use the ktm hardparts step seat on my 13..5 fe. It gives you the "sit in the bike feel". I am 5'6"".

So your problem is purely the seat to bar distance? Youre totally fine when standing? It may be the bar bend in that case. If the bar bends arent the same from what you were using with your kawi, you may want to look at that first. And as stated previously, perhaps moving the bar clamps to a different position in the triple clamp would help.

Will try different bar positions by moving clamps forward and back.

Thanks,

Yes, but play around with even lower settings such as 110-115mm.

Thanks,

Also, from reading magazines it seems that this bike is quite responsive to sag and fork height.

So I guess that getting the correct settings is instrumental compared to other brands I had.

u nailed it on the head !!  its takes the "whole process" to get them relatively dialed.... i came off a kawie 250F after 7 yrs & it was a struggle to say the least. ** By "stinkbug" u mean front end high or rear ??? **

Dany789 tex me, i might be able to hook u up with something nice for that 450, i have 2 of them 8482102782