Sign in to follow this  

And it still ran.....

I am in the process of sorting out an old NX650 Dominator for a guy here. Goodness knows how long it has been in country but it has seen some horrendous "fixes. the enging ran like a bag of crap - but it did run. Decided to check timing and took rocker cover off..... and then.....

part10.jpg

Finished up taking side cover off and recovering this - also found that the spring on the chain tensioner had broken. says something for Honda engineering that it still ran.....

Gordon Bennett,,Nice looking cam chain guide there.. :facepalm: ..A man of maintenance was he,, :lol:

Gambia though,,expect the bikes been through a half dozen wars..good shape considering..

Edited by Horri

After my ride/ wrenching session today, I felt compelled to add a testament to the fact that Hondas seem to run even when they shouldn't. Even though it doesn't directly involve a 600 or 650, I think it still fits the theme of this thread.

Three of us left my buddies house around noon, his property backs up to endless logging roads and muddy trails. After crossing a few streams and going down some gnarly hills the only quad with us started acting up. It wouldn't rev out, hesitated off idle, standard plugged jet stuff. So with the four wheeler now unable to get out of its own way, out came the tow rope.

Now the other part of this story is the other bike in our trio, a 1987 Honda FatCat. Anyone who is familiar with these bikes knows that the would be more appropriately called a tractor than a dirtbike.for those who aren't, picture a three wheeler that's missing one back wheel.

So, I pushed and the fat cat towed and we drug that stupid Suzuki quad back to its garage. After disassembly, we found the culprit in the form of a single chunk of crap the size of a grain of sand stuck in the primary jet. Meanwhile, the FatCat had been sluggish all afternoon and had backfired a couple times while towing the quad home so we took this opportunity to drink one more beer and clean oone more carb.

What you see is what we found. Keep in mind this bike towed home another minutes earlier.

NCM_0072.JPG

That's some dirt build up - but it looks like sugar....is there no filter in the tank or in-line?