KYB SSS fork conversion on 13'crf450r

Hey guys, First post,

I've got a 13' crf450r with PSF KYB's, Ive had them re-valved for tight single woods style etc, and love the performance, but Ive had enough of them leaking air, due to sand/grit caught in seal, and loosing air on trails.

I'm concerned about an inevitable DNF during XC's, already had an almost DNS, picked up right before a sighting lap, and managed to limp it through the day.

Anyway, I'm going to try and sell/swap these for KYB's off 09-12 crf's, but i believe the SSS KYB also fit.

What needs to be done make them SSS fit?

Is it the same Caliper, and just need to change the mount/bracket etc?

Or do  need to fit a Yzf caliper and mount?

I assume the axle and spacers would need to changed too? 

I have a lot of luck with using the Showa forks from the 2010-2014 CRF250R. I very recently put an MX-Tech woods-revalved Showa spring fork set from a favorite 2008 CRF450R with some RG3 24mm offset clamps on and I couldn't believe how good the bike was in the woods. I believe there are plenty of Honda solutions so you can avoid all the off-brand part compatibility issues.

Edited by Eddie8v

Yeah SKF seals are going in next, although that still won't stop loss of air when sand/grit holds the seal open, which is what happens more regularly than a 'blown' seal.

I know it'd be easier to put crf forks in, but there is a lot more Yzf forks around than Crf's

Edited by Ashg

I thought the 09-12 CRF450r forks are basically the same design as the YZ/YZF SSS KYB's ?

Double post...

Edited by H4L

You would have a seal leak just the same if you had springs,you've got nicks on your tubes ,making the seals leak.Ktm fork guards wrap around better & fit on the Hondas forks.The forks leak oil air or spring unless its a really big nasty hit on the tube.Get in front of who ever throwing the rocks on your fork tubes.

You might be able to swap the internals out.I was going to do that when I 1st bought my 13,because I had a 2010 yzf 450 still.But after FC revalved my Honda stuff it felt as good or better than the yz.The length of the sss can't be shorter than the Hondas or it'll pull apart. Call andre @coppersmith they have done all the above posted mods along with the ohlin internals swap.That might be the best answer price & function wise.

Edited by galligar

I think there better for heavy guys like you & I ,the bottoming control is unreal,never had that with any spring fork. makes going for a new gap easier, because its not going thud then throw you off.

• Like 1

Bottoming control is TOO strong, so I remove the bottom control collars and reduce the diameter a very small amount to get more stroke during normal operation. Braaap.

I thought the 09-12 CRF450r forks are basically the same design as the YZ/YZF SSS KYB's ?

can anyone tell me the difference from the kyb SSS fork and the 09-12 450r KYB's?

can anyone tell me the difference from the kyb SSS fork and the 09-12 450r KYB's?

They are basically the same forks it's just that Yamaha uses the name "SSS" as a marketing ploy that has done very well for them.   While Honda uses the name "AOS" suspension on the forks / shock for the 09-12 CRF450r's.  The difference is mostly in the internals with different valving specs from the factory.  

Here is a post from the suspension section also discussing the differences -   http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1197777-kyb-aos-vs-sss/?view=findpost&p=13268975&hl=%2Baoss

Edited by H4L

H4L is right ,just get a set of clean 9-12 450r spring forks, revalve and respring.