Sign in to follow this  

04 CR250 FMF exhaust modelyear compatibility?

Guys...

I just bought a new FMF Fatty exhaust for my 04 CR250 @ your country via eBay...it stated modelyear 2002.

Now I'm a little in shock...because the productnumbers on the FMF site for the 2002 and 2003/2004 are different!!! I thought de 02-04's were the same, and the 05-07's were the same?

Please tell me the 2002 pipe just hookes up fine under my 2004 model.....

Anyone?

Edited by Daniello

02-04 share the same flange, but there will be variances in the pipe shape. They will fit though.

So it IS different, but when the seller decides to just send me the 02 pipe, it will fit???

I don't understand your answer (and the story in the link to the other topic) 100%

Does it bolts on directly without a problem? Or what do you mean by different exhaust flange...

Edited by Daniello

Sorry about that did a quick reply as I was headed to work this morning.  The pipe should bolt on to the stays (hangers), but you might need an 02 exhaust flange.   I'd check for exhaust leaks at the flange after you bolt it on & shut it down right away if it leaks.    The 03-04 flange is a different dimension & might not get a good seal at the female outlet of the 02 pipe.    The aftermarket flanges like PC & Boyesen I think are universal for the 02-04 pipes.  I posted the link as a reference since a member had recently asked a similar question a few days ago. 

No problem, already pleased that someone reacts to my topic.

Ok so it bolts on just fine.

It's very confusing, about the exhaust flange shape...I did see on mine that the flange didn't matched up with the d-shape port of the cylinder. So I used a Dremel cutting and grinding tool to match the flange inner room to the d-shape exhaust port of the cylinder.

When reading topics about the Boyesen/PC exchange exhaust flange, the aren't (except for billet over cast, and port matching) different over the OEM ones, from what I understand out of different topics.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/887966-02-exhaust-flange-whats-the-deal/

And there are different part numbers for the 02/03/04 model years, so if I might need one...get me the 02????

Than I rather go for the PC whiles they are $40 instead of Boyesens $90. Only thing...PC are back order.

When I need one, maybe one of you guys could get me one and send it over to Europe?

Or get a 02 OEM flange?

Questions questions....

Edited by Daniello

Who ever wrote the article on the boyesen exhaust flange on the link above got it backwards.  Owned 02 & 03 models & the cyl. exhaust port is round vs. the 04 is D-shaped.  I've been running the Boyesen unit for a few yrs. & haven't had any issues bolting on 02-04 pipes.  

Edit :  Checked the Boyesen website since it's been a long time since I bought my flange direct from them.  They do show different part #'s for 02-03 flange BEF-02 vs. the 04 BEF-02A.  I'm assuming the 04 flange will have the same dimension in length just have the D-shape to match the exhaust port.   I'd contact them to confirm if you go this route.

Edited by H4L

It might work. That's why I mentioned bolting it on & checking for an air leak where the flange & female outlet of the pipe meet.   The inner & outer dimensions were the same if I recall it was the length of the oem 02 vs. 03 flange that was different.   The aftermarkets are possibly the same length & universal for the 02-04 pipes. 

To end this topic, the pipe fits ok on the 04 flange. Also the hangers (mounting points) line up nice...

Only the pipe didnt match up that good icw the 301 Stainless PC muffler, had to Dremel the mounting holes on the muffler and grind of the tip of the end of the expansion of the fmf (where it goes in to the muffler).

Will, i buy this pipe again? No...the PC Works did a overall better job...only the chrome plated looks are nicer...

Tested many pipes about 11 yrs ago when I first picked up an 03 & the Fatty was the worst performer.  It concentrated the power in the mid range & felt it took away some low & topend.