Last Gen 05- RM 250,to newer bikes handling? Tall Rider

I bought a 05 RM 250 Roller back years ago and never finished building it, I was going to shoe horn a 500 Cr motor in but never got around to it. I still have it and was wondering how well this bike handles compared to the new stuff for off road?

When I got it it was before the had all the stiffness of the AF's sorted out so I was going back to CHROMO. Any input on the newer chasses would be great Like KTM???

I am pretty tall long legged and I read where the old Rm Was good for tall riders.

Thanks for any input.

Depends on your area and riding style.  RM's like to go to the inside of a turn but in some cases it's better to stick to the outside and flow with the turn, and that favors a different setup.  My KTM definitely doesn't like the inside but it's very stable, almost to the point of it wanting to go straight through the turns... well, when compared to an RM.

About the best that you can do is to just put it together and ride it.  In many ways what someone else thinks doesn't matter, it's about you, where where you ride and how you ride.  For what it's worth KTM's favor taller riders mostly because their tall from the factory and have an endless supply of goodies to make them even taller.  At 5'7" this isn't something that I would ever consider doing to my own bike.  :-)

Thanks fo helping me, it takes a lot of work to build one of these bikes. I learned the hard way by building a 2003 CF 450 with a Cr 500 motor in it and when I was done ealized the frame was to stiff for my liking  then rode some RM's of my friends and really liked them. I am in sand and I don't think a RM favors that however. The 500 seem to making a come back and I saw one dropped into a KTM in a mag.

So the bike can handle as good as anything in the right conditions, the way you say a KTM handles that sounds like a 500 would work in that. even the new KTM's suit tall riders?

Thanks for helping me for sure.

Thanks fo helping me, it takes a lot of work to build one of these bikes. I learned the hard way by building a 2003 CF 450 with a Cr 500 motor in it and when I was done realized the frame was to stiff for my liking  then rode some RM's of my friends and really liked them. I am in sand and I don't think a RM favors that however. The 500 seem to be making a come back and I saw one dropped into a KTM in a mag.

So the bike can handle as good as anything in the right conditions, the way you say a KTM handles that sounds like a 500 would work in that. even the new KTM's suit tall riders?

The RM could want to turn when you want to go straight?

Edited by Whipitnow

The RM is the best handling bike I've ever been on. It does however favor the tighter tracks that don't have a lot of high speed sections. It can be adjusted by lowering the fork tubes down in the clamps and running a little less sag in the rear. That will remove some of the twitchiness at high speeds. It seems to work very well. I cant tell you if it favors a taller rider though. I can say I have a buddy that's 6' and he loves his as much as I love mine. Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying, I like how plush the steel frame is compared to aluminum, are these steelies still plusher than the newer aluminum bikes? the old aluminum ones were terrible and the newer generation just did not realize how bad they were { Jeremy M dam sure did} . I can change the geometry of the steering by machining off set race assemblies to fix stability.

How does the rear end track if set u right? and in sand are they all twitchy or can they run straight and track. I know they are not as good if you are a pro in the rough stuff compared to the best Aluma tubs but I am 50 and looking for a good comfortable cruiser that has more sack than a 250 for a large rider.

Again thanks.

Thanks fo helping me, it takes a lot of work to build one of these bikes. I learned the hard way by building a 2003 CF 450 with a Cr 500 motor in it and when I was done realized the frame was to stiff for my liking  then rode some RM's of my friends and really liked them. I am in sand and I don't think a RM favors that however. The 500 seem to be making a come back and I saw one dropped into a KTM in a mag.

The RM could want to turn when you want to go straight?

Well, it's not that the KTM's won't turn, but any bike compared to a 2 stroke RM250 won't "turn" as well.  It's just that conditions do dictate one type of setup over another (as you know).  In tight good traction conditions my RM250 was very good, the deep sand favored my KTM because it tended to track straighter overall.  As for the newer KTM's I do believe that they favor taller riders mostly because they're so tall to begin with and can even be made taller (and shorter) through the factory powerparts catalog.

Thanks, this is the stuff I want to know going into this, I saw where FMF put a KX 500 motor in a KTM and it looked sweet. Don't get me wrong but for sugar sand in conditions where you need power a 500 cc 2 smoke is still tops. The Cr 500 chasses does not handle well in sand so that is the only reason I do this. I am big and weigh alot so I like 500's, them killing them is BS.

A 500 with a modern chasses still has apps, how do the new aluminum ride compared to the best steel ? I have been out of the riding lop for about 10 years and want to make one last bike to ride before I bite the dust and push up daisies and have the Thumper Punks rip on my grave..

Edited by Whipitnow