Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel Weight Install -> What all do I need?

Guys, I am looking to get a flywheel weight for my 03 CR250 to lessen some of the hit and make it more rideable for me. 

I have read the 10oz can be installed without any modification but the 12oz will require some mods.  Is this true?  

If so, I will stay with the 10oz. 

Next question, do I need to purchase the flywheel puller?  

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/925/17329/Tusk-Flywheel-Puller?v=27

How about the engine lockup tool?  

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/989/28650/Tusk-Engine-Lock-Up-Tool?v=27

I know these are relatively cheap parts but I want to be able to install it properly so any feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks guys!

12oz requires a "slight modification" according to steahly's website.  If you really want a 12, I would be pretty sure that it wouldn't be a big deal, you have to grind a tab off of the case somewhere according to steahly's website.  I ordered a 10 for my 06 because I didn't want to modify my case.  As far as install, you remove one nut, and then screw on the weight, and use a "tool" to torque down the flywheel, which acts as the flywheel bolt.  It is as simple as you can get.  The lockup tool is awesome, I use mine for a bunch of things, not just flywheel install/removal.  It works great to lock up your engine when doing clutch work and other things, I highly recommend them.  Get the Tusk one, I have found that one is better quality even thought it is cheaper. 

EDIT:  You won't use the flywheel puller to install the flywheel weight but it is a tool that you will use in the future and is nice to have in the toolbox.

Edited by frdbtr

Thank you for the reply.  I will probably go with the 10 just so I dont have to modify anything. 

What "tool" are you referring to when you mentioned to torque down the flywheel?  Just a torque wrench or? 

So I will definitely get the engine lockup tool now and probably the flywheel puller too.  Thanks for the info! 

Ive installed mine several times with no lockup tool. If your crank stub threads and flywheel puller threads are clean and burr free the weight will spin on to flush with no issues. Steahly supplies another nut to lock the weight in place, use thread locker on this nut.
I have been loving my 10oz for a few years now.... completely changed my bike

Edited by DanBot

Thank you for the reply.  I will probably go with the 10 just so I dont have to modify anything. 

What "tool" are you referring to when you mentioned to torque down the flywheel?  Just a torque wrench or? 

So I will definitely get the engine lockup tool now and probably the flywheel puller too.  Thanks for the info! 

With the 10, everything you need is in the kit you get from Steahly. Nothing to it. Good luck.

I haven't gotten my 06 250's flywheel yet so I am going off of how it installed on my 01 cr80.  There is a piece of metal with a 1/2 inch wratchet hole in it that bolts to the flywheel(supplied with your flywheel).  You take your 1/2 inch torque wrench and torque it to what the torque value was for the flywheel bolt.  Then you unbolt the metal from the flywheel.  On the 80, it had 4 allen head bolts that you would tighten down on the outside of the flywheel weight that anchors the flywheel weight to the flywheel.

Edited by frdbtr

Guys, I am looking to get a flywheel weight for my 03 CR250 to lessen some of the hit and make it more rideable for me. 

IMO, a better method to lessen the hit and make the bike more ridable is to get the G2 eccentric throttle tube. 

I've done it both ways, a 10oz FWW & G2, and the G2 is much better at doing this. Plus, you also get a better, all metal throttle as well.

Just an update on this.  I got my flywheel for my 06 the other day and installed it.  It actually installs way different then it did on the 01 cr80 (not surprised).  You have to remove the flywheel nut and washer, then the weight screws onto the flywheel using the counter clockwise threads that the flywheel uses to attach a flywheel puller, then there is a new nut you screw onto the crankshaft arm and torque it down to spec.  Very simple install of course, it also came with a flywheel cover spacer and gasket to make enough space for the new weight. 

Review on the product is I didn't notice much more flywheel inertia on my test rides.  My bike power wheelied in 4th gear with little effort with the weight so I don't think it lost any power and I didn't feel any loss in snap.  I can't weight to try it out on a trail to see if it helps with stalling. 

• Like 1

If you want to eliminate stalling get a Rekluse clutch. Did about 50mi. of single track yesterday and didn't stall once. Makes my bike much more enjoyable on tight trails.  I put a FWW on my old '98 cr250 and that did help a bit. Good luck!

I put the 9oz TMV flywheel weight on my 06 CR250.  It mounts differently than the Steahly.  It has two round tabs that slide into existing flywheel holes, then just tighten the flywheel nut to torque spec.  I like it better because you don't have to worry about the reverse thread on the FWW slipping loose, it is stainless steel, and it has a beveled shape.  Comes in 9oz, and 11oz.  No modification required.  I got mine at motorcycle-superstore.com.  

I put the 9oz TMV flywheel weight on my 06 CR250.  It mounts differently than the Steahly.  It has two round tabs that slide into existing flywheel holes, then just tighten the flywheel nut to torque spec.  I like it better because you don't have to worry about the reverse thread on the FWW slipping loose, it is stainless steel, and it has a beveled shape.  Comes in 9oz, and 11oz.  No modification required.  I got mine at motorcycle-superstore.com.  

The steahly is held on with the flywheel nut provided in the kit.  It just attaches to the flywheel with the reverse threads.  Once the flywheel nut is torqued down, you won't have to worry about it coming off at all.

The steahly is held on with the flywheel nut provided in the kit.  It just attaches to the flywheel with the reverse threads.  Once the flywheel nut is torqued down, you won't have to worry about it coming off at all.

I have a 8oz Steahly FWW for my 144 that is as you describe.  On one occasion I found that it had some free play in the reverse threads after riding, so I tightened and re-torqued.  I like the TMV with the round tabs that fit into the flywheel holes better for that reason.  Locks it in, no slippage.  I don't use the flywheel weight on my 144 anymore.  It made the power band hit feel lazy, for me that was a negative that outweighed the rotational energy benefit of the flywheel weight.

Edited by magpie5

Flywheel weights are rarely popular on 125/144s except for really tight hardcore nasty trails. 125s have a hard enough time building revs as it is in alot of conditions, no need to weigh them down more.

250s have so much snap and power they can toss you off at the slightest twitch too much of the throttle coming out of turns so getting them settled down a bit and hooked up is a major plus.

• Like 1

Flywheel weights are rarely popular on 125/144s except for really tight hardcore nasty trails. 125s have a hard enough time building revs as it is in alot of conditions, no need to weigh them down more.

250s have so much snap and power they can toss you off at the slightest twitch too much of the throttle coming out of turns so getting them settled down a bit and hooked up is a major plus.

We have some of those really tight hardcore nasty trails here in Hawaii.  The flywheel weight on the 144 does help for that, however with the low/mid porting even without the flywheel weight, the bike performs remarkably well.  I would much rather have the revs without the delay.

magpie,

Is this the one you put on the 06?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/36270/i/tmv-flywheel-weight?WT.ac=RichAutoComplete

Am I wrong? what you described for mounting doesn’t seem to match this model TMV 

Edited by AXAxiom

Yes that's the one. The photo is a mismatch.

Will I need to remove the flywheel to install it?

Will I need to remove the flywheel to install it?

No.  

But you will have to remove the stock flywheel nut and washer.  The TMV flywheel weight comes with a specially machined nut, and the flywheel weight itself replaces the washer.  The stock nut is 17mm.  The TMV machined nut is 5/8 and may need some minor filing to get a good fit on your socket.  I don't know why because my (9 oz TMV) nut didn't need filing, but my brother's (11 oz TMV) nut did.