Sign in to follow this  

reeds for kx 500

My 02 kx is getting harder and harder to start.I was gonna clean the carb an while at it pull the Reed block.question is do I go with say the Boysen reeds,carbon tech that bolt onto the original cage or do the aftermarket cages make a huge difference? I ride mostly woods,hills,coal mine property where it's slightly open.Thanks for your replies!

Ok cleaned carb,there wasn't any tacos or little kids stuck in the carb.gave carb good cleaning,blew it out.there is one chip on the upper outer Reed , not sure if that would cause a hard starting condition or not?

Also the inside of intake is very carbon black?the intake boot is slightly cracked on outside but when I apply pressure there's no cracks showing on inside of boot.Does this warrant replacement of the boot?

Ok cleaned carb,there wasn't any tacos or little kids stuck in the carb.gave carb good cleaning,blew it out.there is one chip on the upper outer Reed , not sure if that would cause a hard starting condition or not?

Also the inside of intake is very carbon black?the intake boot is slightly cracked on outside but when I apply pressure there's no cracks showing on inside of boot.Does this warrant replacement of the boot?

Cracked boot, chipped reed. That will all cause it hard to start.  At idle and just off throttle it needs to be air tight.  Running mid/higher you won't notice it much. Replace the boot if its worn/cracked, replace the gasket, and replace the reeds.  It'll start so easy you'll be mad at yourself for not doing it sooner.

Id use boyesen reeds or OEM.  I couldn't believe the difference on my CR125 when I did the reeds.  what a difference.