Sign in to follow this  

2006 KTM 250 SXF starting issues

I recently got this 2006 ktm 250, i brought it home and tried to start it which took about 50-75 kicks. so i brought it to a ktm dealership to get everything fixed and hopefully it would start easier. they fixed everything that was broken but nothing major was wrong with it. I then brought it home and got it out to ride but it still wouldnt start up. every single time i try to start it, it takes between 25 and 100 kicks to get it going. yes i use the hot start when its hot, and yes i use the choke when i first get it out. one time i was in the middle of the woods kicking for 30 minutes before it finally fired up. When it is running, it runs amazingly. i dont know what to do, any thoughts?

Edited by orangebikeguy

Valve clearances ?

If I paid someone I would take it back and get them to make it work as it should

• Like 1

They said they checked everything. I called them back and they said it might need a valve adjustment. I have been getting a little more used to it. it still is tough to start cold but once its hot, the hot start works great if you just quickly pull it in and then let it out. i found that if you hold it then you can kick all day

Once, I cleaned and rebuild my carburetor and starting was a nightmare after that. I had unscrewed adjusting wheel (that black on the side of the carb) a bit in a way that slide was too low to give any fuel for the engine. Retry, after a bit of fiddling with the adjusting wheel and  bike started with few kicks.

If you have OEM titanium valves and after hours of riding you find a need of adjusting them it is going to be a downward spiral. Hard coating is gone and now they start to suck into the head. Recut the seats and new valves in.

Im in the same point with my 07 sx-f 250. I adjusted the valves once and now bike is hard to start again. Compared to earlier when it was 1-3 kicks for cold start and 1 kick while hot with hot start lever. I was thinking about going 280cc big bore, enduro transmission and steel valves. Im not into motocross anymore and in enduro/cross country riding you dont really have a chance to rev it to the moon to get anything out of the price of titanium valves.