Sign in to follow this  

Honda Honda Rancher 350ES Starter

I just replaced the starter on my Honda Rancher 350ES. The machine has 231 hours on it. This is the second starter I have replaced, the first one 4 years ago. The first one had a "flat spot" that you would have to put the machine in gear and rock it; then it would satrt. The last one went dead as a doornail. Honda dealer says the starters"cannot be rebuilt". Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by GlennF

The dealer is bs'ing you big time.  Im a tech at a Honda dealer and ive rebuilt a ton of starters.  Your old starter sounds like it had a dead spot in the armature so replacing it was the right way to go.  As long as the armature in your new starter tests good all you should need to replace would be the starter brushes/holder, which I believe cost around $40 for oem parts.

Thanks for the tip. I did find a parts list on MRCycles.com and on dis assembling the old starter, 

found the phenolic part of the brush holder broken in pieces. I am going to order the Terminal Set, Brush and Holder Set, Brush. Does this sound right? It will be nice to have a backup. Thanks again for your help.