Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 Trails - Piston change ?

Hello , this year I may finally buy YZ 250.  :jawdrop: It should be year 2000-2004 .

The thing that iam worried about is piston change time. How long will piston last , if it would be just for trails ? Iam not gonna somehow rip it . Iam just coming from enduro bike TS125X that i rode for 3 years.

Also is the difference big ? I wonder how it is like to ride YZ 250 . Soo excited to get it.  :ride:

Edited by EURO1215

I think you should do a LOT of reading in the make-specific Yamaha 2 stroke sub forum and look especially for threads relating to "trail riding".  There have been many, some relating to "taming the hit" since it IS an MX bike, some relating to which year(s) are the best suspension for that use OR should you have the forks re-valved, etc.  To be honest, if you aren't used to a high HP bike, you may not like it without a LOT of work to make it a suitable trail bike.  I don't want to try to change your mind, since I own one, but it may not be the best choice for you for trail riding.  You've got some reading to do!

• Like 1

Suggestions will be all over the place but 40-50 hours would be my recommendation.  I'm sure people have gone 100+ hours but you risk screwing up your engine and having to pay a lot more then just changing the piston/rings out.

I've never heard of your particular model bike but after doing some research (from this site http://www.suzukicycles.org/TS-TC-series/TS125.shtml)  it looks like the YZ250 will make a little more than twice the power your TS125 makes.  

Also like motoxvet said yz250 isn't for everyone trail riding.  Some people think it has too much hit for the woods.   Personally I love it.  It isn't always the easiest bike to ride but it is fun.

Edited by DirtSmoker250
  • Like 1

Yes , I already know that the power will may be too much. but ive readed about Flywheel or a g2 400 cam throttle , everyone is saying it should tame the power . Could that be better for me ?. The only strong bike ive ever rode was DRZ-400S and it was awesome feeling , It may be a stupid question , but does this YZ 250 have something with it ? I know its an MX bike , but i really want something that can hit the power soo i didnt had to buy another bike because it could not be enough for me soon , like as my Suzi...

Ill sure read more about this bike soo ill be sure to pick the best bike for fun :) . Thanks and sorrry for my bad english :D

Edited by EURO1215

Yes, the FWW and the G2 throttle are good places to start.  For strictly trail, I think you would like a Gnarly pipe.  It's made for that use.  Bump the timing back a little and you might like the results.  So, if you're happy with the power characteristics after those mod's, you still may have to deal with the suspension since as delivered from Yamaha, the year span you mentioned were QUITE firm in the from end. 

• Like 1

Yes, the FWW and the G2 throttle are good places to start.  For strictly trail, I think you would like a Gnarly pipe.  It's made for that use.  Bump the timing back a little and you might like the results.  So, if you're happy with the power characteristics after those mod's, you still may have to deal with the suspension since as delivered from Yamaha, the year span you mentioned were QUITE firm in the from end. 

I usually agree with motoxvet but I prefer the fatty pipe over the gnarly.  Gnarly is made for low end for sure but the fatty pipe adds to the low end and the entire powerband.

Everything else spot on if you want to tame it.

And you asked if the yz250 could really hit the power so you wouldn't get bored with it...the answer is a 100% yes.  This bike hauls especially with a full exhaust system and proper jetting.  The bike absolutely explodes out of corners.  You can carry a lot of speed through the corners because enginee breaking is not an issue and then be instantly on the power right when you are ready.  They are spectacular machines.  That's why it is best to change piston more often.  These are high performance race bikes.

• Like 1

I think you are heading in the right path. I would say 2 out of 3 yz250 that were made for mx are being used in trail, gp, hare scramble type riding. All of us cant be wrong. It is a light, powerful bike. Once you get in some decent seat time, the power becomes more managable. I love my yz250 2013, all stock except fmf turbinecore 2. There is room for improvement but just fine stock.

• Like 1

Its the best all around dirt bike made.  YZ250 two stroke.  I'll stick with that until I try/own something better but it does everything I could ask for and more.

• Like 1

I usually agree with motoxvet but I prefer the fatty pipe over the gnarly.  Gnarly is made for low end for sure but the fatty pipe adds to the low end and the entire powerband.

Everything else spot on if you want to tame it.

And you asked if the yz250 could really hit the power so you wouldn't get bored with it...the answer is a 100% yes.  This bike hauls especially with a full exhaust system and proper jetting.  The bike absolutely explodes out of corners.  You can carry a lot of speed through the corners because enginee breaking is not an issue and then be instantly on the power right when you are ready.  They are spectacular machines.  That's why it is best to change piston more often.  These are high performance race bikes.

I know what you mean about the pipes.  I was thinking about the difference between the power of his present bike to the YZ.  How about 3 times the power!  Maybe start off with the gnarly and go to the fatty after a year or so?

• Like 1

I think his current bike makes 22hp.  The earlier ones made 13 but it looks like when they became X models they started pumping out 22HP.  Says 22hp at 8000rpms.  That's a low revving 125 if I have ever seen one.

• Like 2

You are in for a real eye opener...

Depending on the terrain you'll be riding (open versus tight woods, hills etc...) you might have more fun with a YZ125+ a big bore kit...That makes allot more power than the TS, and has better suspension, and a motor that won't try to kill you :)

• Like 1

I don't have much time on dirtbikes... I bought a 2004 yz250 because it was a good price... I havnt rode it but an hour, I was way more comfortable on my friends yz125 a few years ago... I'm hoping once I get used to the power and have the suspension setup for my weight and height ill be ok.

• Like 1

Yes Its the X model , and have 22Hp as a Dirtsmoker250 said. The YZ is really gonna have the 3x power , but iam not gonna get out of it until i try it . Iam actually excited for this bike 3 years already , ive seen alot of videos and when seeing this bike rust anything in its way it makes me soo excited to go and get her. Thanks for all answers , it may be too much for me , but sometimes later i think i would settle with that.The only thing i was worried was the maintance of this bike , which i hope will be price acceptable. Thanks .)