Sign in to follow this  

Project 02' CR125: Giving it a 2nd chance

Since spring is coming strong here and the snow is finally melting, I got the motocross itch once again. Having 3 dirt bikes is apparently not enough of a project so when I spotted a sad looking 2002 CR125 for dirt cheap I couldn’t say no. Especially since I always wanted a 125 in my stable.

The apparent back story of the bike is that some guy was ice racing it without changing the stock jetting (I did find the stock 32.5 pilot and 400 main) and the piston seized up from running lean hot. The cylinder looks reusable but I will hone it and double check. The guy turnd around and sold it as is to someone, that then sold it to the guy I bought it from (I know). Bottom line is, I have no idea how many years ago this happened and the cylinder was out when I got it and I don’t know how long it stood opened up like this (I think the last owner opened it up at least). It also came with ‘oh so cool’ rattle can painted fenders… And the seat cover was miss-fitted in the back…

Anyway, here she is as she sat when we 1st brought it back. My friend apparently approves the purchase. ;)

20140418_180612_zps35d7b12f.jpg

We striped it down to bare frame and scrubed the hell out of everything. Here’s the engine after it was done:

20140419_190909_zps43e4a8f0.jpg

We then decided to put it all back together and see what’s missing/need changing. I also donated a couple of spare fenders from my 250.

20140420_231540_zpsc39b06ef.jpg

20140420_231648_zpsb609291f.jpg

Now here’s a short list of what’s needed:

-Top/bottom end rebuild kit

-Handlbars

-Grips

-Clutch lever

-Clutch/Throttle cables

-Killswitch

-Chain/Sprockets

-Rear disk

-Misc parts.

Rear suspension/swingarm bearings are also due but I greased them for now. Suspension would also need a refresh but I’m trying to keep the initial cost pretty low.

Also the bike looks bone stock except for an FMF Rev pipe. Which is interesting since I have never heard of that model before. Apparently they stopped making them? Was it not good?

Anyway, as I’m tackling this I’m having more and more question, especially as I’m preparing to rebuild the engine as I’ve never split cases before. So if you care to help out by answering question I would appreciate it greatly!

Cédric

Edited by Crazyced

Alright, I ended up splitting the cases today. The good news is that the reeds, clutch and tranny look great.The crank, main bearings and seals will be changed.

Those are not stock reeds right? They look brand new.

20140422_220622_zps25e2ccbd.jpg

The crankcase need cleaning

20140422_233333_zps0f5ada77.jpg

20140422_233445_zps9970f2d6.jpg

Old (and rusty) crank:

20140422_233419_zpsbb75a668.jpg

Now the one thing bothering me is the cylinder. The guy apparently had his mechanic dremel some spots... I will start with a hone and go from there. I guess as long as the ring don't catch it'll just mean that the transfer port timing will be slightly affected.

20140423_004629_zpscecac830.jpg

The stock reeds look just like that. I just checked mine and they looked like new after 110 hours!  :ride: I've always liked the quality of Honda OEM parts.

Edited by unboundnrg

I had an '02 and now have a beater '01. They are fun bikes with good handling, and are just about as reliable as a yz if you maintain it. I haven't used a rev pipe, but I had an fmf fatty on mine (still have it somewhere), and it was a good improvement over stock. More usable power and over-rev from what I remember. The kx125 pipe might be worth a try. If you get sick of having to re-jet it, consider the pwk air striker swap.

we have two of these with HGS pipe with shorty and they seem to be pretty good on over rev but on the other hand bad on the lower end. That power valve pin modification made really good improvement on low - mid range. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks to me that you're ok with that cylinder.

we have two of these with HGS pipe with shorty and they seem to be pretty good on over rev but on the other hand bad on the lower end. That power valve pin modification made really good improvement on low - mid range. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks to me that you're ok with that cylinder.