USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Rubber cones on handle bar mounts....is there something better?

My wife laid the KLX140 over the other day and the handlebars were twisted and the rubber cones were all skewed.  I had to take the mounts off, straighten everything out and remount the bars.  As soon as I was done, my son took the bike out and barely laid it over and the damn bars were twisted again.  I've been looking on the internet for aftermarket options to replace the rubber cones and found the solid cones (aluminum or brass) like these:

140.jpg

Is there something better I can use?  Are these solid cones OK for the casual rider?  I want to put some pro taper bars on to replace the crappy stock bars and would like to fix the twisting problem while I'm installing new bars and mounts.

My wife laid the KLX140 over the other day and the handlebars were twisted and the rubber cones were all skewed.  I had to take the mounts off, straighten everything out and remount the bars.  As soon as I was done, my son took the bike out and barely laid it over and the damn bars were twisted again.  I've been looking on the internet for aftermarket options to replace the rubber cones and found the solid cones (aluminum or brass) like these:

140.jpg

Is there something better I can use?  Are these solid cones OK for the casual rider?  I want to put some pro taper bars on to replace the crappy stock bars and would like to fix the twisting problem while I'm installing new bars and mounts.

The rubber is there to create a little give when the bars hit the ground.  If they don;t absorb the shock, then the bars are triples will take the beating.  So, the option is, keep the rubber, or risk damage from a solid impact with no give.  Based on what you just described, the wife and son's riding would tempt me to keep the rubber.  :lol:

• Like 1

The rubber is there to create a little give when the bars hit the ground.  If they don;t absorb the shock, then the bars are triples will take the beating.  So, the option is, keep the rubber, or risk damage from a solid impact with no give.  Based on what you just described, the wife and son's riding would tempt me to keep the rubber.  :lol:

I agree. I was thinking that the rubber mounts are doing their job absorbing the impact & reducing the damage to pricier parts. Kinda like the foam inside a helmet.....