Sign in to follow this  

Ankle saver pegs

It's not a floor board. You will never even touch that extra arm while riding unless you screw up in which case your heel will hit that rather than destroying your ankle. I am seriously considering these pegs. Last year around this time I case a jump on my KX450f and hyper extended my ankle. I couldn't walk on it for 1-2 months and then for the next 4 months it hurt when using my ankle. Now I notice slight discomfort in certain situations. I would easily have paid $150 to prevent that, plus you get new pegs. Here's a description from their website

"Designed by a vet rider to specifically aid in preventing the hyper-flexion of your ankles, these revolutionary foot pegs are virtually unnoticeable while riding, yet provide protection when you really need it. A must for vet riders protecting previously injured ankles and young riders for aiding in preventing ankle injuries, the Ankle-Savers® foot pegs provide support on the back of your foot at just the time when you need it. When casing a jump, making an awkward or hard landing, too far out on your toes, etc., the aft portion of the Ankle-Savers® is there to prevent your foot from flexing any further, significantly reducing the possibility of broken or sprained ankles. Field tested by pro’s, vet’s, and young riders alike, time and again testimonials reveal the value of these innovative foot pegs."

I just ordered a set.  I see NO downside to these pegs.  Last year...I cased a gap and luckily, when I was in the air, I had enough sense to conciously move my feet foward on the pegs to the heel stops on my boots.  It saved me from breaking my ankle / leg.  I hit so hard that I BROKE the stock Yam Ti footpeg, and bottomed out suspension hard on both ends.  I did not crash...rode it out.  My right wrist was not so lucky...and I ended up with a distal radius fracture.  These pegs seem like good insurance.  If you don't remember to move your feet forward when you are casing bad...you will eventually break bones.  These seem like good insurance...and they do not look yo interfere in any way with normal riding.   

I have use them on my bike for several years now & they do work as intended. You won't feel your heel hitting the angle arm unless you land pretty hard. On the other hand my son who rides pretty hard says he doesn't like them 'cause when going through the whoops the pegs doesn't let him hang his heels lower when riding on the balls of his feet (his preference I guess). I don't know, just giving you some insights so you can decide for yourselves..

Edited by Knowledge seeker

These look like a good idea, I may have to get a set. My body hates me more and more each day.

these have been around for ages and there has been tons of threads about them.

I don't see a need for them but they also wouldn't hurt.. if you worry about it then it would be worth it,

I have yet to over extend my ankle, but I've broken the right one twice from standing flat on the pegs and landing short....the last time crushed the tib into three peices, broke the fib and crushed the ankle as well as blowing out the cartillage. 6 years and it's still swollen and effed up. Not sure how bad I want these...but the idea is cool.

Good idea if you have the house extension issue, but I've yet to do that once since the first time i took my bike off a jump, when i was about 5.

I've seen some sweets pegs where the front is higher that the back, like the peg has a step in it. I can't remember their name, but the look cool

They're are called full perch pegs.
  • Like 1