Sign in to follow this  

NorthCarolina Gnarly Single Track Guys - Who Tuned Your Suspension?

Hey guys, I just bought my 3rd YZ-250, a clean, stock, low-hour 2007 YZ-250. My other 2 bikes are a 2001 (what I've been riding for the past 3-4 years) and a 2002 (apart right now due to a grenaded cast-AL piston a while back).

I've never had "primo" suspension on a dirt bike. Before I bought my 01 and my 02, the original owners supposedly sent the suspensions to Race Tech and had them tuned (re-sprung, re-valved), and I just left them how they were. It was OK, since most of the riding I did when I lived in the Memphis area was on flat stuff that wasn't very rough. When I would make an occasional trip to Westpoint in middle Tenn. or over to the Ozarks in Arkansas where there were rocks, it was adequate, but not great. Now that I've moved to the Nashville area, and met a new group of riders, I'm riding gnarly, rocky stuff on every ride. We rode Brown Mountain, NC. not this past weekend but the weekend before. Did 50 miles Friday and 25 Saturday, and it was epic - some of the best riding I've ever done. We hit a ton of single track up there, and all three of us had a bad case of baboon ass! I was on my 01 YZ, and it beat me to death.

Anyway, one of the main reasons I bought this 07 is because I know it has a great suspension out of the box. But I want it to be "primo." The bike is, as I said, all-stock, and has very low hours, so it's worth spending the $ on.

I'm looking for plushness over the sharp-edged rocks and step-ups, and for the rear end to be able to put the engine's power to the ground without hopping all over the place and spinning like my 01 does. BTW, I've already ordered a Tusk 18" rim and spokes, so that will help. I'm looking for the fork to absorb hits and not deflect all over the place when I'm going fast down these 4-wheeler-wide trails that have loose softball and volleyball-sized rocks and washouts, etc. I'm looking for all that plus great handling, and for the bike not to feel like a La-Z-Boy when I get on some awesome, flowing singletrack that's not necessarily so rough.

Anyway, who tuned your suspension? Did you re-spring shock and fork, or just shock, or either? Are you happy with the result? What do you weigh and how tall are you? What's your ability? I'm 6'2" 190 lbs in street clothes and I'm a mid-pack "B" rider (on a good day, lol).

My buddies here use Marc Hilton at Motovations in Hickory, NC and they rave about him. Some guys back home say Factory Connection is the only way to go.

Trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks guys,

John

Nashville

Ronny Monk at Sixtwelve did my '07 YZ250. Resprung front and back, custom valving front and back. Initially it was too soft, but we have it dialed in pretty good now. The faster you ride it the better it gets. He will be doing most all of our race bikes, with my wife's YZ125 being next in line.

We ride a little MX, but mostly race HS.

• Like 1

Ronny Monk at Sixtwelve did my '07 YZ250. Resprung front and back, custom valving front and back. Initially it was too soft, but we have it dialed in pretty good now. The faster you ride it the better it gets. He will be doing most all of our race bikes, with my wife's YZ125 being next in line.

it seems like six twelve does a lot of the suspension work here in florida. How are their work and customer service? I'm looking to get my suspension rebuilt and resprung and really can't find one place that's significantly better than another

it seems like six twelve does a lot of the suspension work here in florida. How are their work and customer service? I'm looking to get my suspension rebuilt and resprung and really can't find one place that's significantly better than another

I've rode brown mountain but I like brushy better have you ever been there

Edited by justin1478963
  • Like 1

MX-TECH revalved my 08 200XC front & rear plus a progressive shock switch.

I ride Brown Mtn. & Brushy Mtn. along with other ST near my home and I have no complaints regarding the MX-TECH suspension at speed on technical trails as other riders/racers have commented about the positive performance front & rear.

To each their own! Joe Dirt

Ronnie is great to deal with and comes to most of the races.

Full Travel Innovations has the best suspension out there.   We have developed a setting that is super plush for gnarly trails and call it the " Ron mod "  and everyone who has rode it loves it.  www.ftiracing.com