Sign in to follow this  

Best Performance mods

What are the best bang for buck performance mods for my 2008 crf250x. I am concidering gearing for more tourqe, what gearing should I use and how will it affect my top speed?

Lots of good information, and links, in the sticky at the top of the page.  A very good start  is reading Rick Ramsey's site on his mods to the X.

Best bang for the buck is rejetting, a JD Jetting kit has all of the parts and instructions.

Stock gearing is 14/53 so an easy and cheap change is to swap the front sprocket to a 13 tooth for 8% more torque and 8% less top speed.

But do you need more torque for your riding area, I think the carb mods will improve throttle responce and power enough.

on edit;  corrected counter shaft tooth count, I was thinking XR not X.  Good info on the effect of different gearing http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xgearing.htm

Edited by Chuck.

Will the jet kit make my bike start easier and run smoother? And how much hp could I gain from it? Thanks for the reply.

to really make your bike rock

cut the top off the airbox

remove the firescreen

full fmf exhaust system

05 r cam

05 r flywheel

wiseco 13.5.1 hc piston

54/14 gearing

and then get the bike properly set up on a dyno

you will be amazed at how quick the bike goes

i find the best tyres are michelin s12xc 120/90/18 and 90/90/21

if you can do the work yourself it wont cost that much lots of stuff on youtube on how to do all this

and garage dog is right about the suspension if you can afford a personal suspension set up go for it just

check them out first lots of idiots out there as i found out

I think tire selection is very dependent on riding conditions.  I've used S-12s and while good during the wet season I don't like them during the summer, so I now run mid terrain tires on the front year round but I'm considering a Trials tire.

On the rear 2 of my my bikes have radial ply competition Trials tires and I feel they offer the best traction in all conditions but they don't like slipping during accel or braking so require a different riding style.

a trials tyre is fine for trail riding but i race my bike so it all depends on what your going to use it for.

i certainly wouldnt want to be flat out in 5th on a trials tyre.

• Like 1