3X4X3 mod..

So I wanted to see how my 14' sm would run without the side cover and wow power increase for sure! I decided to cut a hole in the side cover even though it looks a little funny. I'm very surprised the power increase and throttle response.. Sounds a little more burley too. Hopefully I'm not to lean. I don't think I am. Thoughts?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398194375.536826.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398194397.029847.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398194413.568152.jpg

I don't understand why you would do this.

Your leg position and clothing type would affect the air intact.

It's best to stick to the top of the airbox 3x3 because it receives consistent airflow.

And, all the tuning and jetting settings on the net are based around the 3x3 mod.

Power is power but you're walking into relatively unknown territory.

You can't rock your M.C. Hammer pants without your engine bogging.

If you want burley sound from the stock bike, bored out the exhaust end cap with 1-3/8" hole saw.

• Like 1

So I wanted to see how my 14' sm would run without the side cover and wow power increase for sure! I decided to cut a hole in the side cover even though it looks a little funny. I'm very surprised the power increase and throttle response.. Sounds a little more burley too. Hopefully I'm not to lean. I don't think I am. Thoughts?📎

I would've just rejetted. if you took off the side cover and it ran better you're too rich anyway. a jet kit might be cheaper than buying a new plastic panel. Id put something over that hole so stuff doesnt get in there unnecessarily. there are some people that have drilled holes in that panel and put in screen things (i dont know what they're called, craigo?) but their bike was heavily modded..

Edited by jawknee21

So I wanted to see how my 14' sm would run without the side cover and wow power increase for sure! I decided to cut a hole in the side cover even though it looks a little funny. I'm very surprised the power increase and throttle response.. Sounds a little more burley too. Hopefully I'm not to lean. I don't think I am. Thoughts?📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398194375.536826.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398194397.029847.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398194413.568152.jpg

lol you high?

if your bike is running better with the door off(or pretty much like yours) well that means your jetting is off..im pretty sure you need to change your main jet..

anytime i had my door off, i sounded like crap and was sluggish

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 4

So I wanted to see how my 14' sm would run without the side cover and wow power increase for sure! I decided to cut a hole in the side cover even though it looks a little funny. I'm very surprised the power increase and throttle response.. Sounds a little more burley too. Hopefully I'm not to lean. I don't think I am. Thoughts?

how did you upload straight to TT? 

Ok it's not that big of a deal.. I can buy a new side cover or put some clear lexan on the inside. It's not a irreversible mod.. Calm down folks lol I'm running 160 main 25 pilot DJ jet kit, opened up RS-2 pipe. Somebody on here recommended drilling holes in the side cover. I thought this would do the same thing but look a little cleaner.

I have the TT app on my phone? Just click on the little picture

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Did you cut a 3x3 hole in the top of the air box? It doesn't need to be 3x3 either, just at least 3x3. Even Yoshimura recommends cutting a hole larger than 3x3.

I don't understand why everyone thinks a larger hole, or more holes will make it lean. The motor is only going to suck in as much air as it needs. I drilled holes all over my air box and I got the typical "why would you do that, it'll run lean", and I found with the recommended settings, I was still horribly rich.

fcr21.jpg

fcr22.jpg

I would put some mesh or something behind it just to make it look better.

I would say with your setup the 160 is still quite rich. Of course that's judging by what I've seen with my opened up RS-2 pipe...

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Did you cut a 3x3 hole in the top of the air box? It doesn't need to be 3x3 either, just at least 3x3. Even Yoshimura recommends cutting a hole larger than 3x3.

I don't understand why everyone thinks a larger hole, or more holes will make it lean. The motor is only going to suck in as much air as it needs. I drilled holes all over my air box and I got the typical "why would you do that, it'll run lean", and I found with the recommended settings, I was still horribly rich.

fcr21.jpg

fcr22.jpg

I would put some mesh or something behind it just to make it look better.

I would say with your setup the 160 is still quite rich. Of course that's judging by what I've seen with my opened up RS-2 pipe...

ok good to hear.. I already covered it up cuz apparently people think I'm smokin something for doing it.. But whatever lol found a use for my yoshi stickersImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398198883.218611.jpg

Beautiful lol

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398198896.286691.jpg

Smart move on covering the side of the airbox again.  Most all of the jetting research is based on having one 3x3 hole, usually in the top of the airbox.  If you already have that hole and allow more air in, you likely would need to re-jet for it.  If you have access to a dyno, you could do some runs to see if you can squeeze out any more power by the additional airflow / rejet.

Smart move on covering the side of the airbox again. Most all of the jetting research is based on having one 3x3 hole, usually in the top of the airbox. If you already have that hole and allow more air in, you likely would need to re-jet for it. If you have access to a dyno, you could do some runs to see if you can squeeze out any more power by the additional airflow / rejet.

ya after some further testing it ran like sh!t at cruising speed..and backfired pretty bad on de-excel.. Oh well it was worth a shot lol. I was about ready to get the patent goin on this too! :-] jk
  • Like 1

Dont wear nice pants..youll surely get oil oil oil :naughty:  .....

So I wanted to see how my 14' sm would run without the side cover and wow power increase for sure! I decided to cut a hole in the side cover even though it looks a little funny. I'm very surprised the power increase and throttle response.. Sounds a little more burley too. Hopefully I'm not to lean. I don't think I am. Thoughts??ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398194375.536826.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398194397.029847.jpg?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398194413.568152.jpg

Edited by guitarmusiczone

I have a big lucas oil decal that will cover that hole up, if you'd like it, pm me your addy and ill send it out your way, I cant believer you cut it :D

All good tho, no biggie.

haha that would be cool man! I know it just seemed like a such a good idea at the time! lol

I was actually thinking of putting a piece of lexan behind it so it would be see threw and then call it the "Air filter sight glass mod" haha everybody would be doing it!

• Like 5