Sign in to follow this  

Transmission binding after reassembly

Afternoon gang.  Here is the issue I am pulling my hair out over.  Actually, i am bald, but you get the point.

I am restoring an 87 CR250.  New crank is in place and its time to assemble the cases.  Transmission is back together and in place and the case halves go together like they should.  When the case bolts are finger tight, the transmission spins freely like it should.  THen when I tighten down the back bolts, it locks up.  I can still move it, but barely.

I have taken it apart and put it back together several times.  The bearings are all seated correctly, but if it goes a fraction of a MM too tight, it binds somewhere.  

Any ideas?  

I've never spilit cases before but you said it binds when you tight the back bolts. Does it do it when you use the proper torque sequence for the entire case? I'm thinking mayber it binds because only the back is tight.

Sounds like a thrust washer out of place. The manual should have a exploded view of the trans with locations of all gears and washers. Also verify that the bearings are all the way seated