Sign in to follow this  

Living with MX suspension in the woods...

Hello knowledgeable suspension guys!  I just picked up a very low hour 2006 yz 125, and I've installed Factory Connection springs for my weight (.43 in the front and 5.0 in the rear, as my weight is 180 in street clothes).  Thankfully the stiffer springs did not increase the ride harshness to any major degree, but the bike sure does ride higher in the stroke, and it feels much better when turning (no wallow).  Clearly however, the bike does have MX valving, and I don't care how much the Yamaha guys love their SSS suspension, it is really harsh on the roots and rocks when you get on the real woods trails.  Since I'm not really sure how long I'll keep this bike, or even where I will ride it in the future, I'm reluctant to pay for a revalve now.  I was wondering if there are any tips for making the stock suspension as compliant as possible for the trail hack. What direction should I be taking with the clickers?  I guess I should go way soft on the compression clickers, but is there anything else I should do?

I took about 30cc's of oil out of my outer chamber oil on my CR250 and it really helped. I don't know what to suggest about the shock other than careful clicker selection. I do know that you can go too soft with the clickers and it is counter productive. Google "Bruces Suspension", his fork tuning section is very good and easy to understand. My Honda owners manual has a great susp tuning section also, good for any standard bike. My stock stuff carefully tuned was equal to or better than any revalve I have had. Big bucks and too much time wasted.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

I think you could sort it out by just moving some shims around yourself...your only investment would be fork oil.

You'll get plenty of help if the post the stacks up.

Stiffer springs were a good move!

I think you could sort it out by just moving some shims around yourself...your only investment would be fork oil.

You'll get plenty of help if the post the stacks up.

Stiffer springs were a good move!

+68, should have done that myself. :thumbsup:

Just fyi,

I'm on a 01 CR 250 (MX  suspension) that is my woods bike and I got I working awesome with shuffling shims.

Just fyi,

I'm on a 01 CR 250 (MX  suspension) that is my woods bike and I got I working awesome with shuffling shims.

Share those specs?

I took about 30cc's of oil out of my outer chamber oil on my CR250 and it really helped. I don't know what to suggest about the shock other than careful clicker selection. I do know that you can go too soft with the clickers and it is counter productive. Google "Bruces Suspension", his fork tuning section is very good and easy to understand. My Honda owners manual has a great susp tuning section also, good for any standard bike. My stock stuff carefully tuned was equal to or better than any revalve I have had. Big bucks and too much time wasted.

That site is pretty much what I was going to say.  Everyone is hung up on compression adjustments when rebound is where the magic is.

Share those specs?

Tight tech single track, A-Vet level rider, 195lbs

3 wt both inner/outer chamber, 300cc oc .46 springs

BV

20.10 (5)

MV

20.10x3

17.10x2  float 0.20

REB

20.10 (6)

CURRENT SETUP, 2/4/14  Maxma 3 wt  165psi  5.3 spring

SHOCK

COMPRESSION

44.20--4

44.15--4

REBOUND

40.20- 14

Thanks Moto9. Very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Sure thing,

I made a couple of changes since...and can't find the up-dated build sheet...freak

It'll get you into the ball park to fine tune....next time I'm in the fork I'll re spec everything

That's a bleed setup if I ever saw one , do the face shims cope ok and not warp ?

That's a bleed setup if I ever saw one , do the face shims cope ok and not warp ?

What would you do different? Just trying to get the jist of all this.

Thanks

No that's not a bad thing !! It's just a statement to say that fork must need lots of bleed to work in the woods

So far no issues.

It works well and the faster I ride the plusher it feels.

The limited float keeps the fork pretty firm and up in the stroke, I can bomb down hills without and excessive fork dive.

And that's not a stack you would get to without lots of testing , well done !

Looks like that site is no longer there

logo1.png brucessuspension.com

This domain has recently been listed in the marketplace. Please click here to inquire or call 1-844-886-1718.

Looks like that site is no longer there

logo1.png brucessuspension.com

This domain has recently been listed in the marketplace. Please click here to inquire or call 1-844-886-1718.

Makes sense, he was no spring chicken. Probably retired from the headaches.