Sign in to follow this  

California Ballinger Canyon this weekend....

I will be taking 11 year old Austin out for his second ride on his '03 XR80.  We'll be camping from Friday evening until Sunday morning.

With Austin's current experience, I will be riding close to camp. But, depending on how things go, we may head down Trail 24.

Hope someone else with similar age and experienced riders can come out and join in.

John

Hey, my dad, ten year old brother and I have been interested in going to the Ballinger/LPNF area to ride; I'll see if that works out for us. Is the xr80 his first bike?

Edited by Nick Merrell

Hey, my dad, ten year old brother and I have been interested in going to the Ballinger/LPNF area to ride; I'll see if that works out for us. Is the xr80 his first bike?

Yes, he was riding a Suzuki LT80 quad until a month ago.  Quite a change for him.

Ballinger is relatively  close for us, about >2 hours away. It has always been on of my favorite places and I know it very well. Hope to see you out there, if possible.

Some pic from Ballinger.

This is our rig at...

dsc_0097.jpg

dsc_0120.jpg

It rained on and off Friday night and most of Saturday morning.  The sun came out and we enjoyed great traction and no dust.

This was Austin's second trip on his XR80, he made great progress throughout Saturday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3xPSn35dw

• Like 3

It rained on and off Friday night and most of Saturday morning. The sun came out and we enjoyed great traction and no dust.

This was Austin's second trip on his XR80, he made great progress throughout Saturday morning.

That's awesome! We try to camp back there to the right as well when we go. Conditions looked perfect.

The guy with the single cab black diesel you can see in your video has a boy that's a pretty good rider, did you guys talk to them at all?

Hey John, Too bad my grandson and I couldn't make it out there.  already had commitments, baseball on sat and ridin with the big boys on sun.  let me know when you plan on doing it again, and hopefully it works out.

for the next few months, saturdays are out because of the grandsons baseball, and sundays are hit and miss, work and other commitments.

Think it would be fun.

Edited by msgtretired

Hey John, Too bad my grandson and I couldn't make it out there.  already had commitments, baseball on sat and ridin with the big boys on sun.  let me know when you plan on doing it again, and hopefully it works out.

for the next few months, saturdays are out because of the grandsons baseball, and sundays are hit and miss, work and other commitments.

Think it would be fun.

Hi Ron,

We are planning a Gorman ride for May 16-18 or a Memorial Day weekend somewhere in the desert, weather permitting.  Let us know when you can go out.

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

We are planning a Gorman ride for May 16-18 or a Memorial Day weekend somewhere in the desert, weather permitting.  Let us know when you can go out.

may 17-19, i'm heading out to san onofre right after his BB game.  memorial day weekend may be better for us. 

That's awesome! We try to camp back there to the right as well when we go. Conditions looked perfect.

The guy with the single cab black diesel you can see in your video has a boy that's a pretty good rider, did you guys talk to them at all?

I believe we did meet, the dad offered to have his son ride around with Austin, but Austin is just starting out and I wanted him to stick close to camp and me.

That back campsite is my favorite too, although it is usually not open if you arrive to late on a Friday afternoon/evening.

I believe we did meet, the dad offered to have his son ride around with Austin, but Austin is just starting out and I wanted him to stick close to camp and me.

That back campsite is my favorite too, although it is usually not open if you arrive to late on a Friday afternoon/evening.

Ya that's understandable! I don't know the guy just see him around town and at the races on motocross nights at the fair grounds.

If we get there too late, and can't get that area we hide back by the mini track.

Hi Jon, I ride with my 11 year old. He's a new ride also, about 6 trips on his ttr125l. My older son rides also. I've been thinking about Gorman. Still a little cold up there.

Hi Jon, I ride with my 11 year old. He's a new ride also, about 6 trips on his ttr125l. My older son rides also. I've been thinking about Gorman. Still a little cold up there.

Hi Frank,

Well, it looks like we may be heading to Gorman on May 16-18.  We will probably camp at Smith's Forks. As much as I dislike that camp site, it does tend to have younger riders around.

But, we're up for just about any camp site. I will keep you posted.

Partial hijack...

Looks like I'll be heading to Ballinger this Sunday 5/4 if anybody wants to tag along.

To add to the hijack...I have never been to Ballinger....how is the riding out there? I need to get out there soon! I honestly have no idea where it is but I have been on the 166 many times! In fact, I just drove out to Gorman last Friday! 

• Like 1

To add to the hijack...I have never been to Ballinger....how is the riding out there? I need to get out there soon! I honestly have no idea where it is but I have been on the 166 many times! In fact, I just drove out to Gorman last Friday! 

From 101: take 166 east ~65 miles (pass New Cuyama) then head South on 33 for ~3 miles, Ballinger Canyon will be on the left, the road is not well marked and easy to miss if you haven't been before but there is a sign for "song dog ranch" that is easier to spot. (Song Dog Ranch is on Ballinger Canyon Road)

I've ridden all over and for some reason Ballinger is still one of my favorite places to ride. It's mostly singletrack/ 2 track with lots of ridgeline trails (some with cliff exposure) and deep/ narrow canyon trails. There are plenty of tame trails to keep the whole family interested too. Most of the trails don't go very far before intersecting with another trail so it is real easy to "make" new trails by mixing up your route/ intersection splits. Just about every trail will eventually intersect with trail #24 so getting lost is not much of an issue.

Where are you located? What are you doing this Sunday?

• Like 1

From 101: take 166 east ~65 miles (pass New Cuyama) then head South on 33 for ~3 miles, Ballinger Canyon will be on the left, the road is not well marked and easy to miss if you haven't been before but there is a sign for "song dog ranch" that is easier to spot. (Song Dog Ranch is on Ballinger Canyon Road)

I've ridden all over and for some reason Ballinger is still one of my favorite places to ride. It's mostly singletrack/ 2 track with lots of ridgeline trails (some with cliff exposure) and deep/ narrow canyon trails. There are plenty of tame trails to keep the whole family interested too. Most of the trails don't go very far before intersecting with another trail so it is real easy to "make" new trails by mixing up your route/ intersection splits. Just about every trail will eventually intersect with trail #24 so getting lost is not much of an issue.

Where are you located? What are you doing this Sunday?

Thanks for the directions! I am going on a ride (street) that will include hwy33. I'll look for it then.

I'm taking the family riding tomorrow. We have access to properly up in Paso. I live in Grover. Are you in SM?

I checked Ballinger out on this past Sunday for the first time. The place was pretty amazing for a riding area. It's about 35-40 miles further from me than Pozo or Rockfront but way better riding and worth the extra distance to drive. I cant wait to go back and explore a bit more on the parts I didn't ride. :ride:

Thanks for the directions! I am going on a ride (street) that will include hwy33. I'll look for it then.

I'm taking the family riding tomorrow. We have access to properly up in Paso. I live in Grover. Are you in SM?

Lets plan a Ballinger ride. I've heard that its a better ride than Gorman.

Edited by 06gixxer1k

Lets plan a Ballinger ride. I've heard that its a better ride than Gorman.

Sounds good. And a little closer for me! :thumbsup:  You wanna do that instead of Gorman in June?