Running in Top End Rebuild

Warm it up, ride it with strong intermittent throttle, and down hill closed throttle if possible, to get those rings seated.

I do this three times for about 10 min each, letting it get stone cold in between.

Some people will disagree with this.   IT'S CALLED HEAT CYCLING THE MOTOR.

No, they won't disagree, they will accuse this as being nothing but BS, and that I am lying,  and get really angry about it.

...yet they will have no proof to the contrary that is not worth doing. 

...WAIT FOR IT...

Warm it up, ride it with strong intermittent throttle, and down hill closed throttle if possible, to get those rings seated.

I do this three times for about 10 min each, letting it get stone cold in between.

Some people will disagree with this. IT'S CALLED HEAT CYCLING THE MOTOR.

No, they won't disagree, they will accuse this as being nothing but BS, and that I am lying, and get really angry about it.

...yet they will have no proof to the contrary that is not worth doing.

...WAIT FOR IT...

Cheers Krannie, I will give this a go when I get the rebuild done.

I think I know who you may be referring to!

The bottom line on break in is this... you've got about 45 minutes of sharpness on those rings. After that, they become dull and will no longer seat any further.

You gotta get the job done in the first 45 minutes of run time.

There are those that say to cycle the piston 100 times before you put the head on wiping the bore after every 10 cycles...that stuff is BS.

There are those that say to let it idle for several 10 minutes cycles...BS also.

The trick is to force the rings against the cylinder wall with as much force as the engine can muster...this is done most easily by compression breaking.

I recommend that this be done in 3 cycles. Warm the engine, find a hill, ride the bike as hard as you can up the hill and allow the engine to compression brake on the way back down. Do this for 15 minutes and let it cool down. Repeat twice more.

After 3 cycles, the engine is broke in and ready to race.

• Like 4

The bottom line on break in is this... you've got about 45 minutes of sharpness on those rings. After that, they become dull and will no longer seat any further.

You gotta get the job done in the first 45 minutes of run time.

There are those that say to cycle the piston 100 times before you put the head on wiping the bore after every 10 cycles...that stuff is BS.

There are those that say to let it idle for several 10 minutes cycles...BS also.

The trick is to force the rings against the cylinder wall with as much force as the engine can muster...this is done most easily by compression breaking.

I recommend that this be done in 3 cycles. Warm the engine, find a hill, ride the bike as hard as you can up the hill and allow the engine to compression brake on the way back down. Do this for 15 minutes and let it cool down. Repeat twice more.

After 3 cycles, the engine is broke in and ready to race.

Oh, I see.

Just because you design, build, and execute class winning motors and motorcycles from Los Angeles to Dakar, you think you know something?

Well,......OK THEN!

:worthy:

-------------

for the slow witted:   ^^^^^ humor ^^^^

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick
  • Like 1

Im pretty sure science has proven you MUST heat cycle a motor at least nine times in order to effectively heat treat and anneal all the different metal alloys used in slipper motors. Once again science PROVES that the temperatures slipper motors operate at are more than adequate to achieve this. It's science you cannot dispute that.

So, who to listen to;

1. Australian Honda dealership: Quote "If you use SS valves in your 450X they are too hard on the seats and will ruin your head in no time. I have had two 450R's in here in the last two years that the owners insisted upon using SS valves and they destroyed their motors." Next day when discussion came up when ordering a gasket I informed him I was using TRX valves that are essentially from the same motor he went all quiet, finished my order and started talking to the next customer behind me! Standard customer service in OZ.

2. The scientist....

3. 4 replies from TT members whom seem to have more experience with this motor and know how it works better than the Japanese who built it.

No brainer for me. Thanks again for the feedback.

What is this supposed to even mean?

What it means is a certain someone that posts a lot garbage as truth, that thinks he knows everything and the moment someone disagrees with him claims they are all the sudden stalking him has a fan club. That certain someone has a bunch of people fooled and those people notice that him and I often butt heads, therefor being fan boys of the trash man they like to take jabs every now and then. This would be one of those jabs. I found it amusing.

I didn't open this thread until just now. I knew what was going to be said. I didn't want to read any of it.

I guess I got bored and opened it anyways.

I was correct.

With that said.

Pin it to win it. Putting as much force on the rings to seat them is critical.

Edited by BolinJrsPit Crew
  • Like 1

I didn't open this thread until just now. I knew what was going to be said. I didn't want to read any of it.

I guess I got bored and opened it anyways.

I was correct.

With that said.

Pin it to win it. Putting as much force on the rings to seat them is critical.

Yep, the more I think about it the more it makes sense.