Sign in to follow this  

wideband

Ive used one with good results. The accelerator pump messes with the readings a bit down low but you can tune that mostly by feel anyway. It works very well though

This is a typical name brand unit. cost less than 200 bucks. I am not promoting this brand there are several this is just one I am familiar with.

AEM wide band lambda cable o2 sensor/digital guage. Its a all in one wide band o2 sensor you install by welding a bung in your exhaust where you screw in the o2 sensor and then feed the guage a 12 volt signal and you get real time af/r readings. Our bikes come jetted the same but if you live out west in cali and i live down south in arkansas obviously or bikes do not carburate the same  We can "seat of the pants" tune or we could install a wideband and get the real story. Unlike two strokes which can tolerate lean/rich conditions with ease our four bangers cannot and I believe is what leads to short crank/rod bearing life and piston /ring life. lean conditions in a four stroke leads to detonation and several other conditions that are four stroke engine killers. My bike runs good but my top end is funky.  I know its lean and I could go up a main size but I am still just guessing. AF/R sampling using a wideband eleminates this guess work. I am a sport bike rider and I tuned my bikes using wideband and a dyno. It netted me 7 HP but more importantly a resulted in smoother throttle responce, easier starting and much lower EGTS. (exhaust gas temps)