Sign in to follow this  

Spark plug problems

So I decided to put a fresh spark plug in my bike before riding season hits, I pulled the old plug out and put in a new one but when I went to push the cap back on it was bottoming out well before it was all the way back in. What I found was that the old spark plug had a threaded end where the new one is smooth. Upon closer inspection it looks like the new plug has a sleeve that threads onto the end of the spark plug. There is a metal piece in the end of my spark plug cap but it does not seem to want to come out without a fight so I figured I should make sure that I should be pulling it out before I end up destroying something. Here are some pictures that hopefully will help explain.

DSC_0025.jpgDSC_0028.jpg
DSC_0031.jpg
So as you can see it looks like the new plug has that extra sleeve on the end, what I'm wondering is that what that metal piece in the end of the cap is? Is this the wrong plug? I have tried to thread the old plug back into the metal piece and if it was at some point threaded the threads are definitely ruined. This is the first time I have ever pulled the plug out so who knows how long it has been like this.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated :ride: 

Haha wow okay that was a little more simple than I expected, thanks a ton for the help. Glad I stopped to ask rather than continuing to try and tear out that metal piece.