Sign in to follow this  

XC-W 200 jetting recommendations?

My riding buddy just bought his first 2-stroke, a XC_W KTM 200. He's been riding four strokes forever. He's got about 75 miles on it, so its broken in.

Last ride, he fouled the spark plug. When we pulled it, it was not only oily, it was black from tip down to where the insulator meets the outside. Way too ugly to read the plug.

I can quickly think of two possible causes:

1) he's been plunking around too slowly, not enough throttle, etc.

2) its jetted too rich.

Do these bikes typically come setup rich? We were riding at about 700 ft, which is only about 3% less dense than sea level.

Any recommendations?

What year? My 2013 stock jetting was pretty good. N1EI needle in the 3rd clip, 158 main, 40 pilot, about 2 turns out on the air screw. I mix 50:1 with motorex or maxima. The jd stuff is pretty good also and is what I'm currently running.

What is the fuel mixed at?

When you say he has 75mi on it and its broken in, does that mean that it is a new bike? Sometimes dealerships mix the fuel pretty rich for the first tank...

What is he mixing the fuel at? Also probably good time to throw a new plug and do a few basic fuel adjustment checks

Yes the bikes generally come jetted rich on the needle clip. The OEM needle choice doesn't lend itself to slower riding, loads up.

Not sure of the '14 jetting, I think the needle was changed to N1EI clip 3 with a 40 pj? In years past the needle was NOZI which is the same needle profile except 1/2 clip leaner and came from the factory in clip 4. If you elected to keep this needle you would move the clip to 3 from the top with a 40 pj. These needles are for more aggressive type riding. I suggest your friend look into the JD jetting kit for his year 200. There are many other needles that work well. Some testing is required with all needles, even the JD kit, differing slightly from the instructions. Being his first 2T, he should be aware that 2T's are VERY sensitive to jetting unlike 4T's. He will need to tweak his jetting at least from winter to summer as temps change. I guess you can say it's a "weakness" of 2T's in having to tweak jetting so often. Most just accept it for the pleasure of riding a 2T.

Being his first 2T, he should be aware that 2T's are VERY sensitive to jetting unlike 4T's. He will need to tweak his jetting at least from winter to summer as temps change. I guess you can say it's a "weakness" of 2T's in having to tweak jetting so often. Most just accept it for the pleasure of riding a 2T.

For sure. I used to road race two-strokes. We'd do a plug check every time you finished practice, and usually changed the jets. On a TZ750 (four-cylinder with four carbs) you got pretty good at changing jets.