Sign in to follow this  

What are the main differences between a 150 and 230

It depends.

The 150R would be faster than the 150F, and i think it would be faster than the 230. A 230 is basically a fun bike made for the forest. It will do anything you ask it is a piece of cake to ride. The 150F is just a smaller 230 that doesn't have a headlight. 

If you are doing forest riding, go for the 230, if you are doing entry level motocross, go for the 150R. I wouldn't bother with the 150F.

A KTM 150SX will smoke a CRF150R, I don't know which one you are talking about but either of those bikes will out run a CRF230 on a track. Unless you are riding mostly trails then go for the 230. Being 5'10" I might suggest going with a 125 or 150 2 stroke though, then you won't outgrow it so quick

The CRF150F and CRF230F share the same frame, seat, tank, bars, controls, pegs, airbox, exhaust system, etc.  In other words, the cockpits are the exact same size.  The CRF150F has a smaller swingarm, forks, and tires.  We have both so I speak from a lot of experience.  If you are a small person the CRF150F is the way to go.  The engine in the CRF150F is surprisingly strong when properly jetted.

At 5'-10" and 160 pounds you need a CRF230F.  What is your intended riding environment and what is your skill level?

Edited by VortecCPI

IMO:

Hard to beat a 230 then, should fit you like a glove.

Enjoy!

thank you!!!

I don't know what year I'm looking at. Also looking at a ttr 230 but I don't know a fair price range

thank you!!!

I don't know what year I'm looking at. Also looking at a ttr 230 but I don't know a fair price range

Yamaha makes great bikes and the TT-R230 is a good example.  The two bikes are nearly identical in all respects EXCEPT there are far more aftermarket parts for the Honda.  I rode a TT-R230 and the engine was quite different than the Honda.  It made less low-end power and more high-end power.  The power delivery was much more electric or linear.  The Yamaha engine would probably be preferred by most.  The Honda power delivery is very abrupt off the bottom, which is useful for the type of riding we do.  Both engines are proven and absolutely bullet-proof.

If you plan on making no modifications simply pick your preferred color or manufacturer.  If, however, you think you will be tinkering with aftermarket parts go with the Honda.  Also - I think the Honda is slightly lighter and has slightly more travel.

You should be able to find a very nice CRF230F for around $1,500.

Aftermarket examples:

http://www.xr100.com/ttr230.htm

http://www.xr100.com/crf230.htm

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

Thank you very much!! Do you recommend a certain year or a couple years I should look for?

They are all, in essence, the same.  There are subtle differences in seats, handlebar color, fuel capacity, plastic colors and shapes, suspension part numbers, etc.  The 2003-2005 are obviously the oldest but they have more-adjustable needles and idle mixture screws.

In my opinion, the fit and finish on the older models is slightly better than that of the newer models.  The 2009 and up has a gripper seat cover which some riders like and some do not.  I happen to like it a lot.

I ride a 2009 and my buddy rides a 2004.  You can not tell them apart unless you have a keen eye for detail.

I was worried when I bought mine back in 2009 - I thought I may have made a big mistake.  I'm glad I was wrong.  After a few minor tweaks the bike has exceeded my every expectation.  To be honest I never thought I could have as much fun on this bike as I did on my Al Baker XR265R back in the 90's.  It is 100% reliable and it is very fast and nimble in the woods.  We have gone places that really surprise other riders - Always fun to see the looks on their faces.

Edited by VortecCPI