Sign in to follow this  

Ktm Chomoly ride compared to alumunum?

Do these bikes have a softer ride than the newer aluminum fames or are the newer aluminum bikes on par to steel on ride for long trail riding or hitting rough whoop obstacles for long periods.

thanks.

Yes they do.

I think to validate that claim, you would need to remove all other variables:  suspension valving, suspension springs, axle diameter, rim selection, spoke tension, tire selection, tire pressure, bar mounts, handle bars, rider, track, terrain, seat, etc and isolate it down to just the frame and frame alone.  until you've done this and placed the frame alone on some sort of dyno to measure linear and torsional flex, claiming that there is a perceptible difference that is related to just the frame itself may be a long shot.  

I know RC claims it, but for the sake of argument, lets assume that you moved identical components from an aluminum frame to a steel frame and netted a +5mm give in just the frame alone. assuming no flex in any of the other variables in the system (tires, bars, etc) if you have 12" of travel, thats 305mm, jumped the bike to a flat landing with both wheels at the same time on concrete with no give, then that additional flex in the frame of 5mm equates to a 1.6% change.  I will concede that there is a difference, but based on all the variables, it would seem negligible.

My butt validates this.....I ride a lot of bikes.....Mtn.pedal....road pedal....steel, carbon,al,...and ride a lot of dirt bikes...al, steel......

Al. Has a more ridged feel than steel does....

Now if you want to do a bunch of engineering type of calculations go ahead.

Who here has ridden a 04 and 05 yz 250 back to back???...Yam. Told us the al. Would feel the same as the steel did......NOT!

Edited by E-TECH
  • Like 1

My butt validates this.....I ride a lot of bikes.....Mtn.pedal....road pedal....steel, carbon,al,...and ride a lot of dirt bikes...al, steel......

Who here has ridden a 04 and 05 yz 250 back to back???...Yam. Told us the al. Would feel the same as the steel did......NOT!

I ride a lot of stuff from pedals to pegs, uphill to downhill, steel to chromo to carbon to aluminum.  I can't tell the difference and would never assert that the ride is "softer" or "harder."  From an anecdotal standpoint, that makes that data tied at 1/1.  Change my rear shock spring and valving and my story would be different regardless of frame material.

I sure as heck wont debate with you about what you "feel." its cool to have options that allow us to fit ourselves to what "feels" the best for our given pursuit.

I think what I am actually annoyed about is the premise that the only difference that makes a KTM feel different than brand X, Y, or Z is the frame material selection.  It completely discounts all other aspects of engineering, component selection, rider technique, and operational conditions.  In the truck world, there are a bunch of brand loyalists whom swear that their 1/2 ton truck is a better hauler/tower than the next brand because it has a fully boxed frame.  Yet, many semi trucks still use C channel frames and are way more capable, rendering their argument moot.  What's my point?  A KTM dirtibke is greater than the sum of its parts...as is everything else.

Now the ride of whiskey vs tequila is a different topic altogether, hahaha...

Whilst I don't think ktm steel frame means it's better , frame stiffness plays a large role in feel , witness the 97/98 credit range , that was horrible , but lots of alloy frames are nice to ride , the 09 rmz felt very plush with decent suspension

Whilst I don't think ktm steel frame means it's better , frame stiffness plays a large role in feel , witness the 97/98 cr range , that was horrible , but lots of alloy frames are nice to ride , the 09 rmz felt very plush with decent suspension

Those old YZ 250's are MAGIC 99 - ? before they went AL. In my opinion those bikes with updated components are probably about the sweetest ride ever for a do it all machine.

I ride a lot of stuff from pedals to pegs, uphill to downhill, steel to chromo to carbon to aluminum.  I can't tell the difference and would never assert that the ride is "softer" or "harder."  From an anecdotal standpoint, that makes that data tied at 1/1.  Change my rear shock spring and valving and my story would be different regardless of frame material.

I sure as heck wont debate with you about what you "feel." its cool to have options that allow us to fit ourselves to what "feels" the best for our given pursuit.

I think what I am actually annoyed about is the premise that the only difference that makes a KTM feel different than brand X, Y, or Z is the frame material selection.  It completely discounts all other aspects of engineering, component selection, rider technique, and operational conditions.  In the truck world, there are a bunch of brand loyalists whom swear that their 1/2 ton truck is a better hauler/tower than the next brand because it has a fully boxed frame.  Yet, many semi trucks still use C channel frames and are way more capable, rendering their argument moot.  What's my point?  A KTM dirtibke is greater than the sum of its parts...as is everything else.

Now the ride of whiskey vs tequila is a different topic altogether, hahaha...

I was just wondering because I read these posts where people have not ridden a steel frame in a long time and then they throw their leg over like a RM 2 stroke and cannot believe how much more forgiving it is. I have really only spent time on bikes to like 04 when they were still in their infancy for AL.

I never found the rm forgiving , one of the harshest rides ever imo I was truly scared of the 06 rm 250

Yes but also rigid feeling

It was brand new so that didn't help riding impressions

She does of you pay handsomly

Doesnt it depend on the type of riding you do, your skill level, bike set up. Its a combination of a bunch of variables that no one but you can judge.

Doesnt it depend on the type of riding you do, your skill level, bike set up. Its a combination of a bunch of variables that no one but you can judge.

It depends on what you are doing, for a young kid who is a bad a$$ moto head stiffness for all the big jumps in a lot of instances is welcome, but if you are a off roader and ride a bike with a chromoly single down tube and a good set of conventionals the ride forgiveness is big. The bikes need some flex. Just look at the first GEN Honda's, they were totally unridable in my book for a serious person riding in the dirt. Mcgrath quit Honda over the 97 250.

Anybody who knows anything will steer clear of the early generation Honda's AF's but will keep the motors. THEY ARE TERRIBLE riding!

• Like 1

It depends on what you are doing, for a young kid who is a bad a$$ moto head stiffness for all the big jumps in a lot of instances is welcome, but if you are a off roader and ride a bike with a chromoly single down tube and a good set of conventionals the ride forgiveness is big. The bikes need some flex. Just look at the first GEN Honda's, they were totally unridable in my book for a serious person riding in the dirt. Mcgrath quit Honda over the 97 250.

Anybody who knows anything will steer clear of the early generation Honda's AF's but will keep the motors. THEY ARE TERRIBLE riding!

Agreed at pro level they can feel every little change. Mc used a 93 frame until they changed to aluminum. They overkilled the al frame to make sure it could handle the abuse but ended up giving the abuse. Lol.

It doesn't make any difference. I've raced mx on jap bikes my whole life and now that the ktm's have a much more japenese feel to them I think you'd have a hard time telling the difference in chassis in general. I don't. Put down the same lap times and felt just as comfortable on the ktm as any of my other bikes. If you do think you feel anything I can almost assure you unless you are a top pro that it's all in your head