Sign in to follow this  

Downhill braking in woods trail riding

Hey guys today riding in the hills I would start going down hill and trying to slow down for the corner coming up and my bike would die or cut out is this cuz I locked up my breaks.I just didn't want to ride my clutch to bad down hill I ride a 99 cr 250 if that's any help. Tips?

I almost always start braking w/o the clutch, then as needed pull the clutch in and possibly downshift.  2-stroke?  and your worried about riding the clutch... You should be constantly feathering/working the clutch on a 2-stroke.

Ya two stroke. I was just going down some steep hills so it seemed I would have it in first and still be going to fast for the corner at the bottom and when I hit the breaks it would kill it. I think cuz I was sliding so I would have to kinda bump start it with my momentum goin down. But I also read somewhere on TT that engine braking on a two stroke is bad? Is this true?

Nothing bad will happen from engine braking down hills. 95 % or more of the time it's better to be down hill braking with the clutch out. If the back wheel is spinning the engine won't stall. It feels cool when you brake hard enough that rear tire is spinning slower then the ground your passing over but not locking up and sliding. When your comfortable riding with the clutch out you'll know the times when you should pull it in.

Engine braking a two stroke at high revs can cause an oil starvation issue because you aren't matching more fuel/oil to the revs. A short hill would probably do no harm, however a very long downhill in low gear is not ideal.

you may need to practice coordinating your right foot with your left hand. if you need to brake hard enough to lock up the rear tire, hold the clutch...you might also need to adjust the rear brake pedal so it takes more force to lock up the back tire

I hold the clutch pretty much anytime I nail the rear brake, & I only use the rear brake into sharp turns or in the air to bring the front tire down, between using the engine & the front brakes, I don't think I really use the rear brake that much anyways, then again, I ain't no Jeremy McGrath either!

Edited by chevyrulz
  • Like 1

I hear people talking about the down hill engine braking sieze thing all the time. But i haven't heard of ONE person who's seen it happen.

me either

Engine braking a two stroke at high revs can cause an oil starvation issue because you aren't matching more fuel/oil to the revs. A short hill would probably do no harm, however a very long downhill in low gear is not ideal.

this makes sense...woods trails prolly fine, engine braking down a 1/2 mile hill though?  prolly not wise on a 2-stroke, i doubt the motor will blow, but i'm sure it accelerates wear on the top end, i typically just hold the clutch & use my front/rear brakes to adjust speed downhill into a turn

Edited by chevyrulz