Sign in to follow this  

06 ktm 450 hard starting when stalled

Hi I am looking for some input into a starting problem, the bike starts awesome at first and if you shut it off it starts great, but if you stall it or dump it over it is a royal pain to start, is there a hot start option like on the 525exc? Or is there one on the carb or is there something I'm missing?

That's pretty normal for a 4t without hot start. With the e-start mine will start fine , but kicking it after stalling with throttle open, no way!

Does it not have a hot start knob?  Often it looks just like the choke, a little knob you pull out. 

I'm not sure if it has a hot start knob, the 525 has the lever, where is the knob located on the carb?

The lever you are talking about is the de-comp lever? The hot start is a red knob above the choke on the carb. I'm pretty sure no exc's came with hot start, sx only.

Yeah mine doesn't have another knob above the choke I don't think. I have to pull the tank off to check it has an oversize tank so it's hard to see anything.

Edited by cworobec

something that usually works for me...

stand the bike up. then lean it over far enough to let some gas run out of the carb vents for a second or two.

stand it back up.

open the throttle all the way.

slowly kick it through (not actually trying to start it, just turn the engine over slowly) 4 times.

close throttle.

then kick it twice.

also, anytime it's not wanting to start, try pressing the button and then also kicking it while the e-start is cranking. feels weird as there is very little resistance in the kicker, but it often gets the bike to fire up.

Edited by LittleRedToyota

It starts fine anytime except if your riding and you stall it or dump it. If you shit it off you can kick it right back over and away ya go.

It starts fine anytime except if your riding and you stall it or dump it. If you shit it off you can kick it right back over and away ya go.

it's probably flooding. it's not uncommon. being able to pick a bike--at least a carbed bike--up after dumping it and having it fire right up is less common.

try the routine i posted above.

I'll keep that method in mind, but won't that end up giving it a bunch more fuel? It seems like it's flooded after this, that's why I was looking for the hot start option. It has the same linkage on the head as the 525 does, just doesn't have any cable hooked up to it and no lever on the brake reservoir.

I'll keep that method in mind, but won't that end up giving it a bunch more fuel?

no.

you'll get a little squirt of gas from the accelerator pump in the carb when you first twist the throttle. after that, holding the throttle open just lets air flow through. kicking it slowly does not move enough air fast enough to suck more gas (well, maybe a negligible amount) through the jets. so, you end up just cycling a lot of air through the cylinder. that air dries out the gas that is already in there flooding it.

holding the throttle (or "gas" pedal, which really should be called an "air" pedal, on a carbed car) does not directly cause more gas to be introduced into the cylinder. rather, it opens a slide or butterfly that allows more *air* to flow the through the carb. the air goes through a constriction in the carb that causes a pressure differential--as happens anytime air (or fluid) is forced to flow through a constricted space. that pressure differential creates a vacuum that, in turn, sucks gas through the carb jets from the float bowl (which then mixes with the air). but, when you hold the throttle open and kick it slowly, the effect is negligible, so you end up introducing lots of air and very little gas.

Edited by LittleRedToyota
  • Like 1

Yeah I was just thinking that when you lay it over till gas runs out the carb you would flood it more, I guess I'm thinking more two stroke, that's how I always started my cr500, it made it simple, just lay it over count to ten pick it up and kick it over and she would fire up every time

Yeah I was just thinking that when you lay it over till gas runs out the carb you would flood it more, I guess I'm thinking more two stroke, that's how I always started my cr500, it made it simple, just lay it over count to ten pick it up and kick it over and she would fire up every time

i don't lay it over all the way on its side. just to about 45* at most. seems to help clear gas from the parts of the carb and intake tract that should not have gas in them without further flooding the engine. or something...i'm not really sure exactly why that helps, but it does seem to.

Thanks for your help I will definitely keep your method in mind. Can a person add the hot start lever and cable from the 525 though? Will it hurt anything? Everything is there to hook it up, I would just have to buy the cable and lever and reservoir top.