Sign in to follow this  

WP CC fork help

First post and need help please.

Hey all I started to disassemble my WP CC forks off of my 2011 SXF 350 to replace a leaky seal and have completely stripped out the rebound bolt in the bottom of the fork leg. I mean completely stripped out its round now... Started with 3/8 ratchet and wouldn't budge... Added some heat to the outside and same 3/8 ratchet and it wouldn't budge... Move to more heat and 1/2 ratchet with a longer handle... No dice.... Leaned on it some more and partial rounding of head... Ok onto heat plus electric impact.... No movement... How about the 1/2 air impact... ITS TURNING... just not coming out and voila... Rounded head. FML...

What's next?

Can this fork be disassembled from the top side? I was hoping not to touch the cartridge but so be it if I have to.

Machine shop to have them remove by drilling it out? Guess that will toast the rebound rod too...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Ian

You could try to have some one pull hard on the cart body while you use the impact gun on the bolt.

I suggest some one strong useing gloves...you might get lucky.

You also might need to either hammer a smaller socket onto the bolt head if it's that stripped, or use a dremmel and clean up the edges to accept a socket that fits properly.

Edited by moto9

Good call Moto9. I think it's off to the machine shop to give this hack a rest and let the pros take over.

Good call Moto9. I think it's off to the machine shop to give this hack a rest and let the pros take over.

The cartridge rod locking nut is snugged onto the rebound adjuster assembly. So it will simply spin the shaft, there is nothing to hold the shaft into place.

Someone probably forgot to put on the brass squish collar and as a consequence, that allowed the assembly to lock itself into place more then it should.

Since its already a screwed up assembly, why can't you try and very carefully pop out the center brass rebound adjuster assembly. You'd break it, but if you drill into that assembly after you break it, you should be able to get a good bite on the upper part of that whole assembly. Unfortunately, you can't remove the lowers because you need to use the upper part of the lower tube as a holding device and since you can't get the tubes separated its a problem.

It's in the hands of a very experienced machinist who has been fixing stuff like this for 30 years. His mandate... Get it apart while destroying a fee components as possible. Lol. I will add up the costs from there.

Should have mentioned. Forks only 38 hours on them and I do not believe have ever been serviced. I bought bike at 30 hours. Oil came out nice and clean. Not milky or dirty at all.