Sign in to follow this  

KTM 150 xc?

Hey guys. I currently own a ttr 230, and I really want a trail bike with more power. Would the 150 xc be a good choice? I also want to ride track a bit.

I really want a 2 stroke, because as a teenager with limited mechanical knowldge, I want to learn more and I think a 2 stroke could teach me a lot especially regarding rebuilding top ends

I really want a 2 stroke, because as a teenager with limited mechanical knowldge, I want to learn more and I think a 2 stroke could teach me a lot especially regarding rebuilding top ends

Hey guys. I currently own a ttr 230, and I really want a trail bike with more power. Would the 150 xc be a good choice? I also want to ride track a bit.

The 150xc would be a great upgrade for you, and would be a pretty big step up in power and suspension. They are great in the woods and do pretty well on the track too.

I know a couple of guys that have them, and they both say they are the most fun bikes they have ever owned

Hopefully you are bored spitless on your TT-R and ready for a radical change. That's what this bike is in comparison. It's certainly not a tame beginner's bike.

The 150XC is far from a "trail" bike.  The 150XC is a straight up race machine with some gp style offroad features.  I would look at a 200XC-W if you're looking for a mild trail machine.  (Although the 200XC-W can easily be raced as well.)

Wait does the 200xcw have more power and just less of a 2 stroke kick or?

Hopefully you are bored spitless on your TT-R and ready for a radical change. That's what this bike is in comparison. It's certainly not a tame beginner's bike.

Exactly what I'm lookibg for. The ttr just has no power, and it weighs like 255 pounds

The 150XC is far from a "trail" bike. The 150XC is a straight up race machine with some gp style offroad features. I would look at a 200XC-W if you're looking for a mild trail machine. (Although the 200XC-W can easily be raced as well.)

Exactly what I'm lookibg for. The ttr just has no power, and it weighs like 255 pounds

The XC-W line has wide ratio transmissions, so they are geared down more and are much more forgiving in slow riding conditions.  You would be able to ride much slower without having to cover the clutch at all times.  Don't let the numbers scare you. (150 vs 200)  the 200 is a much more mild mannered machine in stock form.

The 150 might be a good choice for you. They have a lot more bottom end than a traditional 125 and so get around the woods pretty well. 

Of couse the 200 is the favorite of everyone I have ever met who owns one. Couldn't possibly go wrong. 

'W' stands for wide range transmission. There is a granny 1st and a tall 6th.

Personally, I prefer a close ratio transmission, it's less gappy and I hillclimb in tall 1st or 2nd anyway. 

The 150 might be a good choice for you. They have a lot more bottom end than a traditional 125 and so get around the woods pretty well.

Of couse the 200 is the favorite of everyone I have ever met who owns one. Couldn't possibly go wrong.

'W' stands for wide range transmission. There is a granny 1st and a tall 6th.

Personally, I prefer a close ratio transmission, it's less gappy and I hillclimb in tall 1st or 2nd anyway.

Isn't the 150 xc a wide ratio aswell? At least compared to the sx model? And what other features does the 200 have that the 150 doesn't?

And actually, I've been reading around, and it looks as if the 150 puts about as much torque as the 230 down low before it hits the powerband. The 230 does have pretty decent torque at the low end. At least as far as I can tell. (It does have an extremely low 1st gear though, almost unusable)

It does have an extremely low 1st gear though, almost unusable

I guess I'm mistaken, hopefully someone can clear this up. I believed the XC to be a close ratio (SX) trans with woods suspension and the XC-W to be wide ratio.

I guess I'm mistaken, hopefully someone can clear this up. I believed the XC to be a close ratio (SX) trans with woods suspension and the XC-W to be wide ratio.[/quote

Well it's possible that it has more of a hybrid

I guess I'm mistaken, hopefully someone can clear this up. I believed the XC to be a close ratio (SX) trans with woods suspension and the XC-W to be wide ratio.

Perhaps it is a hybrid. Sorry for posting thus twice, it didn't quote right before

Will a KTM 150XC handle the trails well? Will it foul plugs? Is it reliable??? My cr125 fouls plugs I got the jetting looked at and it still fouls... Usually in cold weather.. I can't get my head around it