Sign in to follow this  

What muffler

I have a 2008 crf250x and I am thinking of getting a new muffler. I want something that is louder than stock but not loud enough to annoy people. I am thinking about an fmf q4. How will It compare to stock and will I get any power gains.

The stock is sweet, quiet and already paid for! I have left mine stock for those reasons.

• Like 1

Another vouch for the q4. Has a nice thump sound to. Gotta through in a pic too right?

7f9b75e3-373d-4789-a27f-247969bbe499_zps

I like my Lexx muffler.  Comes with a removable quiet core thats a bit louder (and freer flowing) than stock.  Remove the quiet core for more sound/flow.  $178 delivered and looks good as well.

Do any aftermarket silencers actually add power in an rpm range that is beneficial for woods riding? Proof, dyno charts, etc? Loud is not a plus.

Do any aftermarket silencers actually add power in an rpm range that is beneficial for woods riding? Proof, dyno charts, etc? Loud is not a plus.

You will be hard pressed to find a dyno specific chart for exhausts.  But yes, it does help the power band through the power curve...without a doubt.  It will require a getting change and an aftermarket cage and filter makes it even better.  Q4 is probably the best as far as sound and flow.  Pro Circuit is probably the loudest.

my friend told me you get 20% more power converting from a stock pipe to FMf. That's pretty huge

my friend told me you get 20% more power converting from a stock pipe to FMf. That's pretty huge

Your friend must be 20% stupid!  :lol:

• Like 1

Per Rick Ramsey, and my research, you can get more power for less money with the CCC mods and rejetting. But if   noise is what you want then spend the money.

Realize that some mods just shift power. Dirt Rider mag did several years of testing  Xs, as well as a variety of mods, and their consensus was stock power was what made it a great trail bike, but if you compete then modding towards "R" power may be appropriate. I have a Yosh on my X  as well as some of the CCC mods and JD jetting, and for trail riding I think the biggest bang for the buck is the jetting along with some of the CCC mods.

If the pipe suits your engine set up 1.5 BHP is about what you will get on a 250 race fuel maybe 2BHP more but it all ads up some people think just because it makes more noise its 9faster I have run 300ccX motors on the stock system super quiet and super fast its your money buy what you fancy but on a stock bike ccc mods and corect jetting first is a good place to start.