Sign in to follow this  

KX250 handling

How did the 2005 and later models handle.  MXA review I found stated this

"Handling: The KX250 frame geometry feels like the product of a committee that never met"

Is this a fair report on the bike?   I see pro circuit still make a lowering link for the bike, does this make a solid improvement like it seems to with the current 450's?  

What about offset triple clamps, do these help and is there anyone that still makes them for the 2 stroke KX's?

Looking for a winter project build, love my current KX450, but would love to add another 2 stroke as well, plus they are dirt cheap here so an attractive project base.

Are there any other tips or tricks to really make them handle sweetly, is it possible to get them handling similar to a CR/RM which seem to be the handling kings from the last of the 250 2 strokes.

Were the 125's a much better handling bike, or did they have the same traits as the 250's?

I thought they handled great stock, just the damping was harsh and the bike is very tall.  Installing the PC link killed any flickability the bike originally had.  So I had to lower the forks internally to get the geometry back.  If you are ok with the height of the bike you just need someone to tune the forks.  Overall the bike is tight with plenty of power.

The 125's are pretty sweet right out of the box.  I'm way more confident and faster on my 125 than on my 250.  But forget hill climbs with no run up.  

I thought they handled great stock, just the damping was harsh and the bike is very tall.  Installing the PC link killed any flickability the bike originally had.  So I had to lower the forks internally to get the geometry back.  If you are ok with the height of the bike you just need someone to tune the forks.  Overall the bike is tight with plenty of power.

The 125's are pretty sweet right out of the box.  I'm way more confident and faster on my 125 than on my 250.  But forget hill climbs with no run up.  

Yeah I do love my 125's, on a rough track I'm still faster on one than my 450, but just hated the fact on larger smoother tracks, you could bust ass out cornering, braking other riders only to get smoked down the straights.

Although one thing I was wondering, with the KX125's, is it necessary to grind the cases to allow for a 144 kit?  I thought somewhere I read it wasn't needed, but cant find that info now.

I have a 07 and find its handling to be quirky. If you read the MXA test on the 07 it describes pretty much to a T what I was experiencing with mine. We bought it new, it was my wifes first and after racing it for a year she couldnt come to terms with its handling. It has a tendency to knife and tuck the front end in turns. She went back to her 03 and 04 KX250 and parked the 07. I took it over and played around with it until I got it somewhat better. I still dont trust the front end, its vague and I lose the front end at times. When ridden back to back with our 03 and 04s, its very noticeable! I can stick the front end anywhere I want on the 03/04 without worrying about losing the front end. I believe the 05 is unaffected by this handling trait, Kawasaki messed with the steering head angle in 06 which carried over to the 07. I hear the PC link and new triple clamps help. Where I do like it is when Im playing around on my little endurocross track, its overly sharp steering and hard hitting power seem to help it get around the obstacles well. 

26 degree angle change was in 2005, I believe.

KX125 of the same year is 27, I think.

I have a 2005 KX125 and a KX250.  I can turn a lot better on the 125 than the 250, though the 125 has stock suspension.

26 degree angle change was in 2005, I believe.

KX125 of the same year is 27, I think.

I have a 2005 KX125 and a KX250.  I can turn a lot better on the 125 than the 250, though the 125 has stock suspension.

+1

the 03 KX125 got the 27 degree and the 05 KX250 got the 26 degree but the 2 bikes handle night and day, my 125 cornered like it was on rails but the 250 always felt nervous.

My fix was a custom 23.5 mm triple clamp (stock is 25mm) and an extra 5mm of sag.

MXA recommend the PC link that lowers the rear end and probably kicks out the head angle close to 27 degrees.

If you are looking at the 05 I recommend adding a second base gasket, it seemed to add a little more top rev and add a bit more torque.

I stand corrected, I checked on the Kawi site and the 03 frame is indeed 27.5 degrees.  there is however no mention of a change for the following model years